From the Vault: Rock the Vote
October 19, 2017
"Aspen to elect officials Tuesday," announced The Aspen Times on Oct. 27, 1949. "Tuesday is election day in Aspen. Registered voters will go to the polls to select the city officers for another two-year term beginning January 1, 1950. Mrs. Ethel Frost released registration figures this week giving the number of eligible voters for each of the two wards. Ward I has a total registration of 121 with Ward II totaling 210 for a total city registration of 331. October 25th was the last day for registration, the books being closed at the end of the day. Only those registered will be allowed to vote come election. So exercise your privilege of the ballot or forever hold your peace." The image above shows a view of Aspen taken from the Red Mountain area, 1949. The Music Tent (Saarinen) is under construction in the foreground.
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.
Trending In: Weekly
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Aspen on the Hill: Zombie people of the Rio Grande Trail
- Pitkin County to prompt valley-wide recycling changes, looking to end drop-off sites