From the Vault: Rock the Vote
October 19, 2017
"Aspen to elect officials Tuesday," announced The Aspen Times on Oct. 27, 1949. "Tuesday is election day in Aspen. Registered voters will go to the polls to select the city officers for another two-year term beginning January 1, 1950. Mrs. Ethel Frost released registration figures this week giving the number of eligible voters for each of the two wards. Ward I has a total registration of 121 with Ward II totaling 210 for a total city registration of 331. October 25th was the last day for registration, the books being closed at the end of the day. Only those registered will be allowed to vote come election. So exercise your privilege of the ballot or forever hold your peace." The image above shows a view of Aspen taken from the Red Mountain area, 1949. The Music Tent (Saarinen) is under construction in the foreground.
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.
Trending In: Weekly
- Aspen Times Weekly: ‘The Front Runner’ at the Denver Film Festival
- For our dogs’ sake, it may be time to put the smartphone down
- Aspen’s has its own French Quarter with new retailers on the scene
- Michael Franti, for the love and for Gunilla, at Belly Up Aspen
- ‘How will this look on my wall?’ There’s an app for that
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain