From the Vault: On Board
January 25, 2018
"Surf's up gnarly dudes!" This was the caption with the above image in The Aspen Times on Feb. 13, 1986. As the paper continued, "this Sunday, Feb. 16, Tiehack at Buttermilk is holding a snowboard exhibition, Hawaiian costume contest and a party at Romeo's, beginning at 1:30 p.m. The exhibition will be led by Buttermilk snowboard instructor and downhill racer Bob Klein who will lead the pack down Ego Hill. Awesome! And check this out — the first 100 dudes who cruise to Tiehack on their boards will ski for free. Too cool! After the skiing get ready to party, 'cause the Colorado Midland Band will be jamming at Romeo's. No doubt it'll be a howling good time. Don't miss it powder hound."
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.
Trending In: Weekly
- Writing Switch: Just the tips for dating in Aspen
- High Country: CBD Cult Favorite Lord Jones Lands At Cos Bar
- ‘How will this look on my wall?’ There’s an app for that
- John McEuen and former Nitty Gritty Dirt Band members to revisit ‘Will the Circle Be Unbroken’ in Aspen
- Hollywood in Aspen: Why a small Colorado mountain town plays host to the silver screen’s elite
- Aspen-area men die in backcountry avalanche near Crested Butte
- Aspen-area has suffered the brunt of Colorado’s fatal avalanches this year
- What’s the Big Deal: $6.8 million for luxury cabin outside of Aspen
- Aspen man charged in political official assault
- Monday Business Briefs: Little Nell and Steakhouse No. 316 get props; Aspen estate bound for auction