From the Vault: On Board
January 25, 2018
"Surf's up gnarly dudes!" This was the caption with the above image in The Aspen Times on Feb. 13, 1986. As the paper continued, "this Sunday, Feb. 16, Tiehack at Buttermilk is holding a snowboard exhibition, Hawaiian costume contest and a party at Romeo's, beginning at 1:30 p.m. The exhibition will be led by Buttermilk snowboard instructor and downhill racer Bob Klein who will lead the pack down Ego Hill. Awesome! And check this out — the first 100 dudes who cruise to Tiehack on their boards will ski for free. Too cool! After the skiing get ready to party, 'cause the Colorado Midland Band will be jamming at Romeo's. No doubt it'll be a howling good time. Don't miss it powder hound."
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.
Trending In: Weekly
- Soul food: Deeper nourishment fuels Lead with Love 2018
- The pioneer of ruin: Amid a desolate mess in Cisco, Utah, a young woman resurrects a home
- ‘How will this look on my wall?’ There’s an app for that
- Mark Stevens’ latest Colorado wilderness thriller unravels a marijuana mystery
- A Lucky Night for Lucky Day
- Pitkin County Courthouse ICE arrest likely a first
- Aspen housing board lets man suffering from PTSD stay in home
- Glenn K. Beaton: James Madison doesn’t want your dead cat to vote, and maybe not you either
- Business Monday: Rustique, Cooking School of Aspen and The Cottage go under contract
- Aspen Skiing Co. to take over family-run Gwyn’s High Alpine at Snowmass in 2020