From the Vault: On Board
January 25, 2018
"Surf's up gnarly dudes!" This was the caption with the above image in The Aspen Times on Feb. 13, 1986. As the paper continued, "this Sunday, Feb. 16, Tiehack at Buttermilk is holding a snowboard exhibition, Hawaiian costume contest and a party at Romeo's, beginning at 1:30 p.m. The exhibition will be led by Buttermilk snowboard instructor and downhill racer Bob Klein who will lead the pack down Ego Hill. Awesome! And check this out — the first 100 dudes who cruise to Tiehack on their boards will ski for free. Too cool! After the skiing get ready to party, 'cause the Colorado Midland Band will be jamming at Romeo's. No doubt it'll be a howling good time. Don't miss it powder hound."
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.
Trending In: Weekly
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats to play another sold-out show at Belly Up Aspen
- Value exists at restaurants in Aspen hotels, so why don’t locals go?
- Solving Conundrum: U.S. Forest Service efforts to wipe up after party poopers seem to be working
- Millennials in the gig economy
- Downstream Flow: Main Street Carbondale welcomes 3 new restaurants