From the Vault: Off to the Olympics
February 1, 2018
"A special showing of the recently acclaimed Dick Durrance film, 'Olympic Preview,' has been arranged by the Aspen Ski Club for Monday evening (February 16th) at the Isis Theater," announced The Aspen Times on Feb. 12, 1948. "The spectacular full-color feature has been released at this time for an emergency benefit to fill a ten thousand dollar gap in the U.S. Olympic team fund. The film, containing action shots of Aspen's Steve Knowlton, Aspen favorites Dev Jennings, Barney McLean, Gordy Wren, Gene Gillis and others, is set against a shifting background of Aspen, Alta, Sun Valley and Ogden. Those who have seen it once will come again to watch the breathtaking shots of the National Championships at Ogden, and the Olympic Tryouts at Sun Valley. The entire net proceeds of the film, directed and filmed by Durrance, and produced by Hughes Sound Films, will be given into the U.S. Olympic Fund. The showing has been set for eight o'clock, admission will be 75 cents for adults and 50 cents for children." The photograph above shows 1948 Olympic Ski Team members Gordon Wren, Steve Knowlton and Gene Gillis training in Aspen before the Olympics.
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.
Trending In: Weekly
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- One person confirmed dead in backcountry avalanche near Aspen
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday