From the Vault: Designed of 1950s gas station special for Aspen | AspenTimes.com

From the Vault: Designed of 1950s gas station special for Aspen

Complied by Aspen Historical Society

One 2.25" x 3.25" b/w negative of the corner of Main and Galena streets, Oct. 1955. A Conoco gas station has just been remodeled by Jesse Maddalone on the southwest corner. The gazebo has not been moved to Paepcke Park yet. The Wheeler Opera House is in the background.

"New Aspen Conoco Station opens July 1," announced The Aspen Times on June 9, 1955. "William Milne Jr., engineer for the Continental Oil Company and Wayne Neil, district manager, have announced that plans and specifications for the new Conoco station to be built in Aspen are ready and they have been placed with contractors and a contract is expected to be awarded when the bids are in by June 24. According to the present schedule, the work is to start by July 1 and be completed by Sept. 1. The cost of this work is expected to be between $35,000 and $40,000. This station will not be built according to the plans of most Conoco stations but will be a design especially for Aspen. The building will contain two bays, one for greasing and the other for washing with a large main room that will contain office and display space for merchandise, and ladies and gents rest rooms. According to the plans, the building will be built on the back side of the three lots behind the present station. The building and one island for the pumps will be completed and in operation here before the present building is torn down and the second pump island is finished. In this way regular Conoco service will be uninterrupted. Jesse Maddalone, present lessee, will take over the new station upon completion. Meanwhile he will continue all the services he has regularly furnished in the past. There will be no interruption."

This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.