15th Annual Challenge Aspen Gala
August 23, 2018
Challenge Aspen marked a momentous occasion last month in presenting its 15th Annual Gala atop Aspen Mountain on July 30 and Golf Classic at the Snowmass Club on July 31.
CEO Jeff Hauser welcomed all to the Sundeck for dinner as the sun set over the Elk Range in the distance. He spoke of embracing a series of new beginnings for the organization, including this year's new gala venue atop Aspen Mountain, new gala entertainment with Big Head Todd & the Monsters from Boulder, and the organization's shift in leadership for several members of the board and staff. He honored Houston Cowan, the former CEO and co-founder, and co-founder Amanda Boxtell for the important groundwork laid since they created Challenge Aspen in 1995, and thanked the many sponsors and supporters who continue to give so much "to provide possibilities for people with disabilities."
Dedicated to impacting lives through year-round adaptive experiences for individuals faced with cognitive and/or physical disabilities, Challenge Aspen offers life-changing opportunities by encouraging participation in activities designed to redefine limits, recognize abilities and transfer newfound courage to everyday life.
Among the staggering statistics Hauser shared, they have surpassed 45,000 participant days to date and offered more than $2 million in scholarships. Challenge Aspen participant Leah Potts heroically spoke about the program and the unconditional shown to her and so many others, relating it to a personal story of adopting a shelter dog just days before at the Saturday Market. The importance of having others care makes all the difference in the world, which is precisely what Challenge Aspen does.
The evening was an overwhelming success in raising awareness for programs and raising funds from the live and silent auctions, ticket and private table sales, pledges and generous support from title sponsors Christine and Michael Morykwas and many others.
Learn more by visiting www.challengeaspen.org and consider joining Challenge Aspen this fall in Bariloche, Argentina, to explore one of Aspen's Sister Cities by participating in the BRUT trail series with 10K, 25K, and 50K race opportunities.
Recommended Stories For You
To reach May with invites and insights, email allthewaymaymay.com
Trending In: Weekly
- Ones to Watch at Aspen Filmfest 2018
- Adios, Zocalito: Chef-owner Mike Beary departs Aspen for a Denver opening
- Finding aspens near Aspen: Fall colors hitting their peak around central Colorado
- Celebrating September birthdays, end of summer at the annual white party
- Popularity of climbing indoors is on rise; might be time to get back in the harness
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility