Two poisoned dogs return home | AspenTimes.com

Two poisoned dogs return home

Two dogs that became ill after they were mysteriously poisoned Tuesday recovered enough at a veterinarian’s office to be able to return home Saturday, according to their owner.Sandra Zogg said the two clumber spaniels survived due to excellent care by Dr. Robert Thorsen of Glenwood Springs. He had a serum shipped in to try to offset the effects of antifreeze.”He stayed all night with the dogs,” Zogg said. “This guy is unbelievable.”It is still uncertain if there will be long-term damage to the liver and kidneys of the two dogs, Max and Houston.Two other clumber spaniels owned by Zogg died after they were fed antifreeze by an unknown person. Zogg found Whoopie dead at her home in the Seven Castles area up the Fryingpan Valley on Wednesday morning. A male, Davin, was ill and later died.The rare-breed dogs were former champions in dog shows around the United States and Canada. Davin had competed in the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, which is an invitation-only event.Someone apparently put hamburger laced with antifreeze in dog dishes kept in a fenced area outside Zogg’s house while she was gone Tuesday afternoon. Zogg arrived home after dark and let the dogs out in pairs for an hour each.She was unaware of the substances in the dishes and didn’t realize anything was wrong until Wednesday morning. Zogg and Eagle County Deputy Sheriff Missy Langford found the evidence of the antifreeze-laced hamburger.Zogg said she has “no clue” who would have poisoned the dogs. The sheriff’s office doesn’t have any leads.Anyone with information is urged to call Eagle County Crimestoppers at 1-800-962-TIPS.Scott Condon’s e-mail address is scondon@aspentimes.com


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.