Trial date set for man nabbed in alleged Aspen police brawl | AspenTimes.com

Trial date set for man nabbed in alleged Aspen police brawl

Aspen Times staff report
Aspen CO Colorado

ASPEN – A trial date has been set for Charles Brandon White, a transient and self-described cage fighter who is charged with multiple felonies stemming from an alleged row he had with Aspen police who say they were forced to shoot him with Tasers before he was subdued with a paramedic’s injection.

White, 29, who’s currently free on bond, appeared in Pitkin County District Court on Monday with his attorney, Charles McCrory. After White pleaded not guilty to second-degree assault on a peace officer while in custody, District Judge Gail Nichols set a jury trial for Sept. 26-29. That’s more than one year since White’s Sept. 13, 2010, arrest at the St. Moritz Lodge in Aspen.

Police say that’s when they reported to the a domestic violence call. White’s girlfriend told police he had struck her in the face. The two had been living at the St. Moritz for the last month with their two young children, who were in their room with White when police arrived. The alleged victim was outside of the lodge, and told police White had a knife.

When police arrived, White became combative and it took several officers to arrest him, according to police. He was Tasered and eventually subdued with an injection, authorities said.

Judge Nichols granted White’s request to have contact with his girlfriend and children, provided it’s during counseling sessions only.

In other court news:

• Basalt resident Michael Cline, 21, pleaded guilty to first-degree criminal trespassing, a felony, as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors. Cline was given a one-year deferred judgment, which means if he doesn’t commit any crimes within the next year the conviction will be wiped off his record.

Cline was arrested March 2 for breaking into several vehicles in Basalt and taking wallets, clothing and other items, while charging such goods as a carton of cigarettes and an erotic magazine to a stolen debit card.

As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors dropped two trespassing charges, along with separate misdemeanor counts of theft and unauthorized use of a financial transaction device.

“I’m gonna do whatever it takes to straighten up,” he told the judge.

• Nichols implored both sides in the Bentley’s drug bust of Raul Perez Cortes to get things moving.

Perez Cortes, 50, has been incarcerated in Pitkin County Jail since his February arrest at the downtown tavern, where police say he was caught with 60 grams of uncut, pure cocaine and $2,500 in cash.

The defendant’s public defender, James Conway, said discovery issued have slowed down the case.

“He’s been in custody since February,” Nichols said, emphasizing that the case needs to speeden up. Cortes is due back in court June 6.

– compiled by Rick Carroll


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

News


See more