Three you can count on
October 19, 2011
In my term as a Roaring Fork School District board member I have become more aware of both the strengths and challenges of our district. Two things that stand out most positively in my mind are that we have an incredibly competent, committed and passionate teaching staff; and that we experience meticulously responsible financial stewardship under the direction of Shannon Pelland. I have also found a few core issues that consistently arise as being areas in which our district is in need of improvement.
After spending some time talking with all of the school board candidates in this November’s election, I believe that Matt Hamilton, Daniel Biggs and Terry Lott Richardson will provide the perspective we need for both drawing on our district’s strengths and working on areas in which we could improve.
Hamilton, Biggs and Richardson are the three candidates who:
– understand the need to focus more district resources on educating the whole child;
– understand and value the importance of student-teacher relationships to children’s education
Recommended Stories For You
– recognize the creative potential and collective wisdom of our teachers, and want to provide them with more opportunities to draw on their passion for teaching and use their professional judgment in working with each individual child;
– understand that the board must seek multiple perspectives and multiple sources of information in order to provide adequate oversight of the district;
– are committed to improving the ways in which our district engages with teachers and other community members who bring forward constructive feedback.
All voters in the Roaring Fork School District – from Basalt and Carbondale to Glenwood – can vote for candidates in all three seats.
I hope you will join me in voting for Hamilton, Biggs and Richardson as our next school board members.