The CO threat |

The CO threat

Dear Editor:

The tragic effects of carbon monoxide have been felt in our community on numerous occasions over the last year. As a father of three small children and a physician serving this community, I feel compelled to tell my story.

I recently needed repair work done on my furnace at my home. While my furnace was being repaired, I learned that the pressure switch on my furnace was purposely installed incorrectly by the company who last serviced my furnace – Pacific Sheet Metal. The pressure switch was dangling by its hose, thus allowing the furnace to operate by bypassing its fail-safe design. When the pressure switch is bypassed, the furnace can unsafely build up excess carbon monoxide levels.

Despite numerous phone calls and e-mails and the thousands of dollars I paid to Pacific for their services, they are unwilling to stand behind their work.

Greg Balko

Snowmass Village

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


Willoughby: Examining history through generations


Oral family history provides context that textbooks lack. Tying personal experience to collective events renders them relevant. Most of us have family oral history going back only a few generations, but that spans more history than you might think.

See more