Summit rescuers seek two men |

Summit rescuers seek two men

Ashley Dickson
Summit County correspondent
Aspen, CO Colorado
Mark Fox/Summit DailyA sheriff's boat patrols the waters of Dillon Reservoir Thursday morning as officials search for a missing boater.

SUMMIT COUNTY ” Two search and rescue operations resumed early Thursday in Summit County ” one for a missing hiker on Quandary Peak, and the other for man who fell out of a boat on Dillon Reservoir.

Summit County Search and Rescue teams have called for statewide mutual aid to assist in the search for a 31-year old male hiker last seen Wednesday morning on his way up Quandary, a 14,000-foot peak south of Breckenridge.

The man, who is vacationing in Breckenridge with his family, embarked on a day hike from the Blue Lakes trailhead yesterday afternoon. When his family had not heard from him by 4:30 p.m., they alerted search and rescue.

“We had 10 teams on the mountain yesterday and we couldn’t find anything,” Summit County Search and Rescue public information officer Anna DeBatiste said.

The search for the hiker resumed early Thursday, and a rescue helicopter from the High Altitude Training Center of the Army National Guard has been called in to assist with the search.

Rescuers from Mesa and Garfield counties arrived on scene at mid-morning to aid rescue groups already on the mountain.

The Summit County Water Rescue Team was deployed late Wednesday night when a man fell out of a boat near the Frisco Marina.

Three men had taken a Frisco Marina rental boat at 7 p.m., and traveled across the reservoir to the Tiki Bar at the Dillon Marina.

Upon returning to the Frisco Marina at 9 p.m., one of the men fell out of the boat near Sentinel Island. The man’s two companions immediately began searching the area and called 911.

When Summit County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrived on scene to interview the driver of the boat, Frisco resident Kevin Lukanski, it became apparent that he was intoxicated.

Lukanski was arrested for operating a vessel under the influence of alcohol and was transported to the Summit County jail. He was released on a $1,000 bond shortly after his arrest.

Dive teams searched for the missing man late into the night on Wednesday and resumed the search at 7 a.m. Thursday.

“It has become a very big search area,” Summit County Sheriff’s Office public information officer Paulette Horr said. “Dive teams are now using sonar to try to narrow down a search parameter.”

The name of the missing man is currently being withheld as authorities attempt to locate the next of kin.

This article will be updated.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User