Sprinklers douse Aspen fire | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Sprinklers douse Aspen fire

Aspen Times staff report
Aspen, CO Colorado

ASPEN – There was a fire at The Gap in downtown Aspen Wednesday evening, but it’s not likely anyone noticed. The retail building’s sprinkler system doused the blaze before firefighters arrived.

“The sprinkler system extinguished the fire. We didn’t even have to spray it with water,” said Ed Van Walraven, Aspen fire marshal. “You rarely hear about sprinkler saves – you only hear about bad fires. I like to get this type of word out there.”

The fire call came into the fire station at about 5:30 p.m. The blaze ignited in the Galena Street building’s basement after an employee set empty cardboard boxes down next to the furnace, which apparently ignited the material, Van Walraven said.

When an employee spotted flames, firefighters were summoned and the building was evacuated, but the sprinkler system performed just as intended, the fire marshal said.

Damage was minimal and the clothing store didn’t even have to close, according to Van Walraven.

The furnace was being checked for a possible malfunction on Thursday, he said.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User