Youth football: Present and future games
November 1, 2014
Youth football closed another season in the area recently with big games for little players — capping a season of football in the Mountain West Youth Football League.
The final games of the season in Aspen were played on the turf field at the Aspen School District Stadium.
The long-running youth football program in Aspen is possible because of a longtime sponsor, according to Aspen youth football director Ron "Stump" Morehead.
"As they have for the past 18 years, the Aspen Elks Lodge No. 224 sponsored all three teams in Aspen," Morehead said. "It's so cool to have them help us out each year."
Morehead said the Aspen Elks also sponsor the end-of-season- team banquets for the Aspen youth teams.
"This year, we had a great group of athletes and supportive parents," Morehead said, adding that the teams, players and fans focused on sportsmanship again this season.
Recommended Stories For You
The Aspen fifth/sixth-grade teams both finished 4-2 this season.
They tied for third in a 12-team division.
The Aspen Avalanche team was coached by Mike Haisfield, Shaun Kennedy and Keith Bulicz.
The Aspen Wolverines fifth/sixth-grade team was coached by John Ward, Mark Williams and Shannon Sweeney.
The Aspen third/fourth-grade team (3-3) was coached by Steve Ketchum, Mikel Thomas and Travis Benson.
Basalt teams enjoyed a banner season in the Mountain West Youth Football League.
With a pair of 6-0 teams, the Basalt D-1 youth teams celebrated perfect seasons — along with dreams of future games.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- With braces on both knees, Lindsey Vonn struggles in first race of season
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Aspen School District cancels classes for Friday after overnight snow