Vande Velde wins USA Pro Challenge; Phinney first in time trial
August 26, 2012
DENVER – Christian Vande Velde won the overall title in the USA Pro Challenge, finishing second Sunday behind Taylor Phinney in the closing time trial.
Vande Velde, the 36-year-old Garmin-Sharp rider from Lemont, Ill., won the seven-stage race a year after finishing second to Levi Leipheimer. Tejay van Garderen of BMC and Bozeman, Mont., was second overall – 21 seconds back – after finishing third in the time trial.
“I’ve finished as the bridesmaid so many times, I wasn’t going to let one slip away this time,” said Vande Velde, whose last race victory was the 2008 Tour of Missouri.
Leipheimer, the Omega Pharma-Quickstep rider based in Santa Rosa, Calif., was ninth in the final stage and third overall – 24 seconds behind.
Phinney, the BMC rider from Boulder, Colo., who finished fourth in the time trial in the London Olympics, beat Vande Velde by 13 seconds, finishing the 9.5-mile downtown course in 17 minutes, 25 seconds and at average speed of 32.7 mph.
“I had a tough week early,” said Phinney, who endured a crash and began the final stage in 71st position among the finishing field of 96. “I almost pulled the pulled the plug.”
Recommended Stories For You
After posting his early best time, Phinney waited about two hours before his stage win time was confirmed.
Vande Velde and van Garderen had the same overall time for most of the event and exchanged race leads by tiebreakers.
“I wasn’t ready to lose,” van Garderen said. “I was convinced I was going to win it.”
The 863-mile, second-year race began Aug. 20 in Crested Butte with 123 cyclists representing 16 teams.
George Hincapie of Greenville, S.C., completed the final race of his 19-year pro career. Last month, the 39-year-old rider equaled the record with his 16th Tour de France finish.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Explosive Platte Valley too much for Basalt football in 2A quarterfinals
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Pay hike helps Aspen Skiing Co. fill entry-level positions
- Aspen superintendent supporters urge board to not placate parents
- What’s the Big Deal: Red Mountain property fetches $14.675 million