Two freshmen represent Basalt, Aspen team well at state tourney
May 15, 2002
Aspen High freshmen Kristin Walla and Elizabeth Floyd represented the Basalt-Aspen girls golf team well at the Class 4A girls state golf tournament, held Monday and Tuesday at the Pelican Lakes Country Club in Windsor, near Fort Collins.
Walla, who won the 4A Western Slope Regional Tournament last week in a sudden-death playoff, finished in eighth place in the individual standings, with an 89 Monday and an 84 on Tuesday.
The 18th hole led to Walla’s undoing both days, as she shot 9-over par on the hole over the two rounds. “The same hole got her,” said Alden Richards, coach of the combined Basalt-Aspen team. “But eighth place for a freshman is awesome, especially considering what happened Monday. It was tough on her, but [Tuesday] she just got focused again and carded a good round.”
Floyd, a first-year golfer, bettered her Monday score by 17 strokes on Tuesday, shooting a career-best 93.
“That’s pretty good for a first-year player playing at state level,” Richards said. “I’d say that’s better than pretty good – her prospects are great.”
Since the Basalt-Aspen team only qualified two players from the regional tournament to the state tourney, the team did not record a team finish.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border