Two freshmen represent Basalt, Aspen team well at state tourney
May 15, 2002
Aspen High freshmen Kristin Walla and Elizabeth Floyd represented the Basalt-Aspen girls golf team well at the Class 4A girls state golf tournament, held Monday and Tuesday at the Pelican Lakes Country Club in Windsor, near Fort Collins.
Walla, who won the 4A Western Slope Regional Tournament last week in a sudden-death playoff, finished in eighth place in the individual standings, with an 89 Monday and an 84 on Tuesday.
The 18th hole led to Walla’s undoing both days, as she shot 9-over par on the hole over the two rounds. “The same hole got her,” said Alden Richards, coach of the combined Basalt-Aspen team. “But eighth place for a freshman is awesome, especially considering what happened Monday. It was tough on her, but [Tuesday] she just got focused again and carded a good round.”
Floyd, a first-year golfer, bettered her Monday score by 17 strokes on Tuesday, shooting a career-best 93.
“That’s pretty good for a first-year player playing at state level,” Richards said. “I’d say that’s better than pretty good – her prospects are great.”
Since the Basalt-Aspen team only qualified two players from the regional tournament to the state tourney, the team did not record a team finish.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche