February 25, 2002
Boys and girls basketball teams from Aspen and Basalt high schools open the post-season this week with the start of the Class 3A Western Slope League District Tournament.
On Tuesday, the AHS girls and BHS boys teams play “pigtail” games.
The No. 6 Skier girls are scheduled to play No. 11 Hotchkiss at the AHS Skierdome around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday evening. If the Aspen girls win, they’ll advance to play valley rival Roaring Fork on Thursday, coach Lance Finkbeiner said.
The No. 8 BHS boys face No. 9-seed Meeker at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the BHS Bighouse. If the Basalt boys win, they’ll more than likely see the No. 1 Cedaredge on Thursday, coach Mike Green said.
On Thursday, the AHS boys and BHS girls will pick up games in the tournament’s second round after first-round byes.
The AHS boys, who earned the tourney’s No. 2 seed over the weekend, are scheduled to play Thursday night at the AHS Skierdome, against the winner of Tuesday’s pigtail game between Rangely and Olathe.
Recommended Stories For You
The BHS girls will play the winner of Tuesday’s match between No. 8 Eagle Valley and No. 9 Meeker.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Chaos reigns in battle for league titles
- Aspen ParkRun: A free 5K race that comes with donuts and coffee
- Aspen, Basalt High volleyball teams win Tuesday, Oct. 16 over Vail, Rifle
- Aspen Leafs hockey to host Mexican national teams during Fall Faceoff
- Aspen High boys soccer beats Grand Valley, 6-0, holds on to playoff hopes