Top U.S. riders join Pro Cycling Challenge
August 10, 2011
ASPEN – The USA Pro Cycling Challenge already had assembled one of the top fields ever to compete in a professional cycling race on American soil. A few more big names now have entered the mix.
Accomplished U.S. riders George Hincapie (BMC Racing Team) and Christian Vande Velde (Garmin-Cervelo) will be among those participating in the inaugural event – which kicks off Aug. 22 in Colorado Springs, winds through Aspen two days later and finishes in Denver on the 28th – according to a provisionary list of team rosters released Tuesday.
A total of 136 riders – including all three podium finishers from the Tour de France (Cadel Evans and Andy and Fränk Schleck), two Olympic medalists from the Beijing Games and more than 15 former or current national champions – are slated to take part.
“The allure of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge and the state of Colorado is undeniable – it hasn’t been surprising to see this high-caliber competition confirmed as the preliminary rosters rolled in,” event co-chairmen Shawn Hunter said in a news release. “With all the pieces in place, the final countdown has begun and we can’t wait to showcase these riders to the world in just a few weeks.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Area high school students survive car crash into Maroon Creek
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Pay hike helps Aspen Skiing Co. fill entry-level positions
- What’s the Big Deal: Red Mountain property fetches $14.675 million
- Aspen superintendent supporters urge board to not placate parents