Stylish Skiers make it two wins in two days
August 25, 2010
VAIL, Colo. – The pants are staying.
And when you play as the Aspen boys golf team did Tuesday at the Vail Golf Club, you can wear pants that would make Stevie Wonder turn his head.
“It’s called Loud Mouth Golf, John Daly,” said Jesse Beetham, referring to the brand of pants the Skiers were wearing. “We just started wearing them as a team. But any time we win as a team, we’ll do that.”
Beetham was styling in some zebra-striped pants, which are actually called Tarzan-A, on the Loud Mouth website, to the tune of low-medalist honors with a 2-over-par 73. Teammates Clayton Crawford and Ryan Smith carded a 74 and an 80, respectively, for a 227, comfortably ahead of Steamboat Springs (236), Grand Junction (237), host Battle Mountain (242) and Eagle Valley (245).
That’s two team wins in a row after Rifle Creek on Monday in the Rodney Dangerfield look, so the Skiers will keep with it. Smith was Monday’s medalist after firing a 1-over par 73.
Beetham bounced back from two early bogeys Tuesday with back-to-back birdies on the par-3 seventh and the par-5 eighth. On the drop-shot seventh, the sophomore pulled his 7-iron and went on to drain a 10-footer for a two.
Recommended Stories For You
“After I birdied, seven, the par-3, it gave me confidence on the next tee shot,” he said.
That showed because Beetham reached the green of the par-5 in two, lipping out an eagle putt. On the back, Beetham made one more birdie on the 11th. In the traditional post-round flagellation, he rued bogeys on both 10 and 18, where he flew the green with his normally-trusty pitching wedge.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche