Sport of field hockey taking hold in Aspen
November 5, 2015
Girls field hockey is off and running in Aspen.
Through the enthusiastic efforts of dedicated former field hockey players and the sponsorship of Aspen Recreation, field hockey is gaining a stronghold on the Aspen sports scene.
A girls team under the auspices of Aspen Rec and a driving desire to add field hockey as a high school sport, has fueled the inaugural Aspen team.
Silvana Cura of Aspen, who played field hockey growing up in Argentina, had been seeking an opportunity for play in the Aspen area for several years.
Working with Keith Bulicz of Aspen Recreation this year, Aspen Rec elected to offer the field hockey program using the turf field at Iselin Park.
Instantly, there was widespread interest, according to Cura, who volunteered to coach the fledging Aspen team.
Recommended Stories For You
Barb Frank, a former East Coast field hockey player, joined on as a coach along with Lauren Nitti and Mariana Tedin.
Tedin also is from Argentina, where the sport of girls field hockey is extremely popular.
Players showed up in droves to learn the new sport.
"Other former players showed up, all showing great interest," Cura said. "They bought sticks online and joined in for practices and scrimmages."
She said as word spread more adult players showed up, including a woman from Avon who drove to Aspen just to play field hockey.
"She did not know any of us but saw the post in Facebook," Cura said.
She said she hopes the momentum continues to build for the Aspen girls field hockey program.
Additional practices may be held this fall, weather permitting.
She said they also will resume play in the spring.
"The girls are really hoping to see this continuing," she said, thanking the Aspen Rec Department for the opportunity to develop the girls field hockey team.
Team members include:
For more information, contact the Aspen Rec Department or Cura at email@example.com.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman