Soccer showdown today for Basalt, Aspen boys
October 9, 2013
The soccer showdown of the season in the upper Roaring Fork Valley will be played today in Basalt.
With the Longhorns gearing up to host the Regional Softball Championships on Saturday, the Basalt High School boys soccer team will square off against Aspen today in match with playoff implications and bragging rights.
Both teams are coming off big wins Tuesday.
The Aspen Skiers rolled to their second consecutive victory with a 5-0 win over Colorado Rocky Mountain School of Carbondale in a match played at AHS.
The Basalt Longhorns are coming off a similarly impressive 3-0 shutout over conference leader Coal Ridge on Tuesday at New Castle. That game was a nonleague game, but added to Basalt's momentum heading into today's match.
Aspen and Basalt share 2-3-0 records in conference play this season.
Recommended Stories For You
The Longhorns are 8-4-0 overall.
The Skiers, with two consecutive wins, are 3-8-0 overall with the momentum of 11 goals in the last two games.
"Obviously, this was a good victory for us," Basalt head coach Brent Hayes said after the Longhorns stopped powerhouse Coal Ridge. "We played very well."
He said the Longhorns played aggressively against a good team.
"It was fun to watch," Hayes said.
Coal Ridge played a man down after a Titans player was red-carded in the 10th minute of play. Coal Ridge entered the game ranked No. 4 in the state in Class 3A.
In other key area soccer matches, Roaring Fork and Vail Mountain School played to 3-3 tie Tuesday in Carbondale.
Coal Ridge is 3-0-0 in league; Vail Mountain is 3-0-1; Roaring Fork is 2-1-1; and CRMS is 4-2-0 in league.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche