Soccer showdown today for Basalt, Aspen boys
October 9, 2013
The soccer showdown of the season in the upper Roaring Fork Valley will be played today in Basalt.
With the Longhorns gearing up to host the Regional Softball Championships on Saturday, the Basalt High School boys soccer team will square off against Aspen today in match with playoff implications and bragging rights.
Both teams are coming off big wins Tuesday.
The Aspen Skiers rolled to their second consecutive victory with a 5-0 win over Colorado Rocky Mountain School of Carbondale in a match played at AHS.
The Basalt Longhorns are coming off a similarly impressive 3-0 shutout over conference leader Coal Ridge on Tuesday at New Castle. That game was a nonleague game, but added to Basalt's momentum heading into today's match.
Aspen and Basalt share 2-3-0 records in conference play this season.
Recommended Stories For You
The Longhorns are 8-4-0 overall.
The Skiers, with two consecutive wins, are 3-8-0 overall with the momentum of 11 goals in the last two games.
"Obviously, this was a good victory for us," Basalt head coach Brent Hayes said after the Longhorns stopped powerhouse Coal Ridge. "We played very well."
He said the Longhorns played aggressively against a good team.
"It was fun to watch," Hayes said.
Coal Ridge played a man down after a Titans player was red-carded in the 10th minute of play. Coal Ridge entered the game ranked No. 4 in the state in Class 3A.
In other key area soccer matches, Roaring Fork and Vail Mountain School played to 3-3 tie Tuesday in Carbondale.
Coal Ridge is 3-0-0 in league; Vail Mountain is 3-0-1; Roaring Fork is 2-1-1; and CRMS is 4-2-0 in league.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Stirling Cup returns with 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American