Snowmass Club pro Doug Rohrbaugh misses cut at U.S. Senior Open
June 29, 2018
Snowmass Club golf pro Doug Rohrbaugh missed the U.S. Senior Open cut by two strokes Friday when he shot a second round score of 2-over 72 to finish the tournament at 10 over.
In Thursday's first round at the Broadmoor East Course in Colorado Springs, Rohrbaugh shot an 8-over 78 after struggling on the back nine.
Friday, he sat 3 over after seven holes before a birdie on hole No. 8 was followed by an eagle on No. 9 to get him back into contention. He had another birdie on hole No. 13 but went bogey, par, bogey, bogey, par to finish out the back nine.
Rohrbaugh was playing in the U.S. Senior Open for the fourth time, having twice previously missed the cut by a single stroke. He did finish this year's tournament ahead of some big names, including Tom Kite, Fred Funk and Hale Irwin. Hall of fame pitcher John Smoltz also missed the cut, shooting 85-77 over the two days to finish at 22 over.
Jerry Kelly, who entered the day atop the leaderboard after his first-round 66, shot a 1-under 69 on Friday and continues to hold a one shot lead over Miguel Angel Jimenez entering the weekend.
For complete scoring, go to http://www.usga.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- ‘Like an angel’: Mikaela Shiffrin inspired by cancer-surviving fan
- AVSC’s Hanna Faulhaber making a name for herself after Revolution Tour win
- Slovakia’s Petra Vlhova is a ‘very strong rival’ for Mikaela Shiffrin
- Aspen boys basketball beats Basalt to end losing streak; Longhorn girls win
- Freeskiing Open returns to Buttermilk venues beginning with Thursday quals
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair says he was assaulted while canvassing
- Jim Gaffigan: ‘Skiing was obviously a rich person’s idea’
- Issue committee formed to fight redevelopment of base of Aspen Mountain
- ‘Vasectomy zoning’ argument fails to sour Basalt council on project