Snowmass Doubles serves on new sand courts
July 30, 2014
The Snowmass Doubles volleyball tournament returned last weekend with more teams and new sand — beach sand.
"This was our second year in Snowmass (Village), and the event grew from 100 to 120 teams, including almost 40 men's and women's open teams," said event organizer Tom Davenport of Volleyball of the Rockies, producer of outdoor volleyball events throughout Colorado.
He said the key for the 2014 tournament in Snowmass Village was the addition of two sand courts in the area near the Snowmass playing fields.
"We've got the best sand in the Roaring Fork Valley," Davenport said of the special sand delivered to the new courts from the Front Range.
The new courts were built as a collaborative effort among Snowmass Village, the Snowmass Club, Snowmass Recreation and Davenport's production company.
He said the coed divisions played a one-day format last Friday in Snowmass.
Recommended Stories For You
The men's and women's divisions played a two-day format on Saturday and Sunday. All teams competed in pool play.
All grass court teams advanced to Sunday where teams were re-seeded into new divisions based on Saturday results.
According to Davenport, Amanda Wiggins and Lynne Galli teamed to win the women's open division.
Wiggins is from Redondo Beach, California, and Gallis is from San Diego.
Meghan Barkman of Denver and Kris Bredehoft of Englewood finished second in the women's open division.
Two Albuquerque players finished third — Kelsey Andeson and Allison Buck — and tied with Katie Arvidson of Denver and Cat Wiesser of Golden.
Skylar del Sol of Lone Tree, Colorado, and partner Cody Kessel won the men's open division.
Vincent Robbins of Englewood and partner Dave Smith of Lakewood finished second.
In the Women' A division, Elsa LeGrand and Rachel Martinez won with Sheree Brock and Teresa Staples second.
In Women's BB, Reagan Folaron and MacKenzie Swan finished first with Krista Ubersox and Chelsea Cadman second.
The Women's B title went to Linda Andrews and Chelsea Morgan.
Second went to Kellioppe Loudenburg and Kaitlyn Cranor.
In Men's A, Matt Eilers and Tony Mohrman finished first.
Alberto and John Bejarano finished second.
The Men's BB title went to Travis Dorn and Josh Meyers.
Second went to Jeremy Hess and Brandon Tarbell.
In Men's B, Weston Gilmore and Young Kim finished first. Jeffrey Hoskins and Wayne Jackson were second.
In Coed Open AA, Skylar del Sol and Katie Plyes finished first tied with Dave Smith and Summer Mrotek.
In Coed BB, Matt Eilers and Krista Ubersox won. Jon McLemore and Megan Stone finished second.
Dawn Nitz and Dean Kuoni won the Coed B division.
Chad and Emilee Scates finished second.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen hosting Ski Town Rugby Tournament July 21 at Wagner
- Aspen Leafs hockey to host Mexican national teams during Fall Faceoff
- Briefs: Trashmasters winners, Vail rugby takes Ski Town tourney title
- Aspen swimmers win their sixth straight WSL championship, head to state
- Colbert: The mystery that is cycling
- Two men drowned at Ruedi Reservoir after accident Saturday afternoon
- Lake Christine Fire crews work most active section; update has fire at nearly 9,700 acres
- Men who drowned at Ruedi Reservoir identified as valley locals John Teague and Bret Varra
- Lake Christine Fire at 11,459 acres by Sunday morning after burning through beetle-kill areas
- UPDATE: Two teens dead after single-car accident near Redstone, 14-year-old airlifted to Denver