Snow postpones state cross country meet
October 30, 2009
FORT COLLINS – Mother Nature claimed another sports casualty on Thursday, as the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA) announced that Saturday’s all-class state cross country meet has been postponed one week.
The course at Fossil Ridge High School in Fort Collins has collected more than 18 inches of snow in recent days, according to a CHSAA press release distributed Thursday morning. That, coupled with safety and travel concerns, drove CHSAA’s decision.
The meet will keep its original start time of 9:30 a.m. on Nov. 7.
So much for a home game.
The sixth-seeded Basalt soccer team’s 3A state playoff opener with No. 27 Telluride, originally slated for Wednesday, will take place at 3 p.m. Friday at Aspen High School. The move was made to take advantage of Aspen’s FieldTurf surface, which can be plowed.
The idea was first bandied about after Wednesday’s storms resulted in the postponent of all 16 games across the state. Longhorns head coach John McDermott, whose team has not played since Oct. 17, said Wednesday he was intrigued by the possiblity.
Recommended Stories For You
“We’ve gotten really good on turf,” he said. “The short pass, the speed is our game.”
Should Basalt (11-3-1) advance, it will host the winner of No. 11 Weld Central and No. 22 Alexander Dawson in Tuesday’s round of 16.
Roaring Fork’s boys soccer team has rescheduled its first-round game at Kent Denver for Friday at 3:30 p.m.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)
- What’s the Big Deal: Snowmass condo sale nears $3.8 million