SkiMo Race Series taking off
December 26, 2014
The Aspen Snowmass SkiMo Race Series is off and running in its third season.
Sponsored by the Aspen Skiing Co., the ski mountaineering races are short-course events held in the evenings.
The next SkiMo Race will be Tuesday, Jan. 13, at Aspen Highlands. The uphill-downhill event will start at 5:30 p.m. at the base of Highlands.
There are four additional SkiMo events planned after the Jan. 13 ski mountaineering competition.
There will be SkiMo races Feb. 3, Feb. 17, March 10 and March 24.
They all will be held at Aspen Highlands.
Recommended Stories For You
The first event in the six-race series was staged Dec. 16 at Aspen Mountain.
The series is designed for ski mountaineers to work on their technique and improve transition phases in competition.
The races will include uphill and downhill skiing as well as boot climbing sections.
Registration information is available on the Aspen Skiing Co. website at aspensnowmass.com.
Cost is $15 per individual race or $70 for the series.
In addition to online registration, entrants also can sign up on race days at Aspen Expeditions at the base of Aspen Highlands.
The crown jewel of ski mountaineering races in Aspen is the annual Audi Power of Four Ski Mountaineering Race, scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 28.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen skier, 2018 Olympian Wiley Maple healthy, ready for World Cup season
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire