Skiers shut down Devils
December 3, 2005
The Aspen girls basketball team won its own tournament Saturday with a resounding 46-31 win against 4A Eagle Valley. The Skiers’ defense suffocated the Devils in the first half of the Aspen Invite championship game, allowing just two points in the first quarter and seven in the second. “Our defense is really giving teams problems,” said Aspen coach Dave Conarroe. “We went out and that was all we needed. We didn’t run as well as we did last night and we didn’t move the ball as well as we did last night. I think part of it was that we played a better team. We need to work on making shots if we’re getting the shots against them, but I’m not discouraged at all by anything we did tonight.”
The Devils were led on offense by senior post Brittany Fortier’s 13 points. Senior point guard Carly Magill added 10 and sophomore guard Julia Hassall finished with nine.The Skiers jumped on the Devils early with a 17-point first quarter. Nine of those points came off 3-point baskets, with senior Carly Rosen draining two and Hassall adding another. Fortier said she was also in a shooting rhythm after a streaky first game against Rangely on Friday.
“I just had a lot of confidence in myself,” she said. “Last night I had a bit of the first game jitters. I just let all of that go and just had fun and played my game. It really helped.”The score of the Aspen boys game against Eagle Valley in the boys championship was not available at press time.Both Aspen teams next play Thursday at Steamboat Springs in the annual three-day Steamboat Shootout.
Nate Peterson’s e-mail address is email@example.com.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division