Skiers getting ready to run
August 22, 2013
The Skiers are ready to run.
The Aspen High School cross country team is in the midst of preseason training with the first competition of the season scheduled for Aug 30. or 31.
First though, the Skiers will host their annual fundraiser Saturday morning. The 18th annual Aspen Summer Uphill will send mountain bikers and runners/walkers up Aspen Mountain.
The $20 entry fee helps fund the AHS cross country team for the upcoming season.
Saturday's uphill will have an 8 a.m. start or bikes and an 8:15 start for runners/walkers.
"The turnout has been great this year," Aspen High School head coach Chris Keleher said of the 2013 Skiers. "It's been a lot of fun so far."
Recommended Stories For You
He said the turnout includes a group of typical cross country runners who enjoy working hard — and an occasional swim, as a reward for a hard workout.
"We've got a great group," said Keleher, in his 14th season as the Aspen head coach.
The Skiers will open the competitive season in one of two locations. They will run at the Delta Invite on the regional course at Confluence Park in Delta next Friday, Aug. 30.
Or, they will head to Colorado Springs to run in the annual Pre-State Invitational on the state championship course on Saturday, Aug. 31.
"We'll let the kids decide," Keleher said. "The Delta course is the regional course. We've run there. And we've all seen the state course, too."
He said the Skiers' decision may be based on their training progression this week.
The Aspen season will continue Sept. 7 at the Battle Mountain Invitational.
The Skiers will run at the Basalt Invite on Sept. 14, followed by a trip to Craig for the Moffat County Invite on Sept. 21.
The Skiers will host their home meet on Oct. 5, the annual Chris Severy Invitational.
One week later, the runners will head to the annual Montrose Relays, a unique coed distance relay.
The Class 3A Regionals will be in Delta on Oct. 18.
And the annual State Cross Country Championships are held in suburban Colorado Springs on Oct. 26.
Following is a complete roster of the Aspen High School cross country team for 2013:
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Willoughby: The split personality of Aspen Mountain’s Spar Gulch
- How to see the super blood wolf moon on Sunday