Severy races kick off Aspen homecoming
October 4, 2002
More than 400 runners are expected to compete in two Severy Memorial cross-country events Saturday at the Aspen school campus.
Kicking off the day at 8:30 a.m. is the Chuck Severy Memorial 5K. Chuck Severy was a longtime supporter of AHS cross country, and the event benefits the teams once again this year.
The Chris Severy Invitational ? in memory of Chuck’s son, Chris, a former AHS and CU standout runner ? features six different divisions starting from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. About 20 schools are expected to compete, including Alpine Christian Academy of Basalt, making the Severy Invitational one of the largest meets on the Western Slope.
All the Severy Memorial races will be run on the same 5K course starting at the Moore soccer field next to AHS and finishing across Maroon Creek Rd. at the upper Iselin field (next to the SPARC building under construction).
“It’s a tough course,” said AHS coach Chris Keleher Thursday. “Mile two to three is all uphill and the rest is rolling. And in keeping with the tradition of cross country, there’s a little bit of everything: pavement, trails, grass, gravel and unimproved cross country skiing trails.”
“I was out there today and there’s a lot of mud, too, with all the snow and rain we’ve had,” he added.
Recommended Stories For You
Not only will Christy Severy, Chuck’s daughter and Chris’ sister, be carrying the family torch this year, she’ll be a top contender. The AHS freshman won her first two races of the season (and high school career for that matter) and hasn’t finished out of the top five in any race since.
The public is invited to watch Saturday’s races, Aspen’s only home meet of the season. (For the public Chuck Severy race, registration costs $10 at the Ute Mountaineer through 5 p.m. Friday or beginning 7:30 a.m. race day at the start.)
Severy Memorial racing schedule
Saturday, Oct. 5, at Aspen High
8:30 a.m. Citizens Race
9:30 a.m. Junior High Girls
9:45 a.m. Junior High Boys
10 a.m. Junior Varsity Girls
10:30 a.m. Junior Varsity Boys
11 a.m. Varsity Girls
11:30 a.m. Varsity Boys
Aspen High Homecoming
? 3 p.m. Aspen softball vs. Middle Park
? 11 a.m. Aspen soccer vs. Vail Mountain
? 1 p.m. Aspen football vs. Olathe
Basalt High home games
? 5:30 p.m. Basalt volleyball vs. Eagle Valley
? 7:30 p.m. Basalt football vs. Eagle Valley
? 11 a.m. Basalt soccer vs. Roaring Fork
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Aspen skier, 2018 Olympian Wiley Maple healthy, ready for World Cup season
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- River Valley Ranch Golf in Carbondale gets new owner