Ruggerfest kicks off Thursday
September 18, 2002
The 35th annual Aspen Ruggerfest kicks off tomorrow morning at Wagner Park with pool-play matches in the over-45 old boys division.
A total of 39 teams from both coasts and most points in between are competing in the unique Aspen rite of fall, including five teams in the over-45 division, 15 teams in both the championship and over-35 old boys divisions, as well as four women’s teams.
When the action opens Thursday at 9 a.m. with a match between the 2001 over-45 old boys runners-up California Bald Eagles and Florida Old Boys at Wagner Park, it won’t let up during daylight hours until all the crowns are decided Sunday afternoon. Matches will also be played at Rio Grande Park.
The Gentlemen of Aspen Rugby Football Club, the six-time defending Ruggerfest champs (and U.S. national champions), open Saturday at 10 a.m. at Wagner Park vs. the Eastern Rockies Rugby Football Union (ERRFU) Select team. (Incidentally, the ERRFU Select team will feature Aspen players who aren’t named to the 22-man Gentlemen roster.)
The Gentlemen are also the 2001 defending over-35 old boys champs. The Gents’ old boys team opens play Friday at 10 a.m. vs. Atlanta Old White at Wagner Park.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain