Ruggerfest kicks off Thursday
September 18, 2002
The 35th annual Aspen Ruggerfest kicks off tomorrow morning at Wagner Park with pool-play matches in the over-45 old boys division.
A total of 39 teams from both coasts and most points in between are competing in the unique Aspen rite of fall, including five teams in the over-45 division, 15 teams in both the championship and over-35 old boys divisions, as well as four women’s teams.
When the action opens Thursday at 9 a.m. with a match between the 2001 over-45 old boys runners-up California Bald Eagles and Florida Old Boys at Wagner Park, it won’t let up during daylight hours until all the crowns are decided Sunday afternoon. Matches will also be played at Rio Grande Park.
The Gentlemen of Aspen Rugby Football Club, the six-time defending Ruggerfest champs (and U.S. national champions), open Saturday at 10 a.m. at Wagner Park vs. the Eastern Rockies Rugby Football Union (ERRFU) Select team. (Incidentally, the ERRFU Select team will feature Aspen players who aren’t named to the 22-man Gentlemen roster.)
The Gentlemen are also the 2001 defending over-35 old boys champs. The Gents’ old boys team opens play Friday at 10 a.m. vs. Atlanta Old White at Wagner Park.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche
- Aspen parks its $2.6 million transit experiment