Ruggerfest kicks off Thursday
September 18, 2002
The 35th annual Aspen Ruggerfest kicks off tomorrow morning at Wagner Park with pool-play matches in the over-45 old boys division.
A total of 39 teams from both coasts and most points in between are competing in the unique Aspen rite of fall, including five teams in the over-45 division, 15 teams in both the championship and over-35 old boys divisions, as well as four women’s teams.
When the action opens Thursday at 9 a.m. with a match between the 2001 over-45 old boys runners-up California Bald Eagles and Florida Old Boys at Wagner Park, it won’t let up during daylight hours until all the crowns are decided Sunday afternoon. Matches will also be played at Rio Grande Park.
The Gentlemen of Aspen Rugby Football Club, the six-time defending Ruggerfest champs (and U.S. national champions), open Saturday at 10 a.m. at Wagner Park vs. the Eastern Rockies Rugby Football Union (ERRFU) Select team. (Incidentally, the ERRFU Select team will feature Aspen players who aren’t named to the 22-man Gentlemen roster.)
The Gentlemen are also the 2001 defending over-35 old boys champs. The Gents’ old boys team opens play Friday at 10 a.m. vs. Atlanta Old White at Wagner Park.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen football wraps up non-league play at Grand Valley, BHS at Paonia
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility