Ruggerfest championships set for Sunday in Aspen
September 20, 2014
Line 'em up.
Championship Sunday is here.
The grand finals of the 47th annual Aspen Ruggerfest will take center stage at Rio Grande Park, site of all of the 2014 Ruggerfest games.
With Wagner Park undergoing a facelift, the rugby action turned Rio Grande Park into Rio Grande Rugby Stadium this week.
Ruggerfest divisional finals as well as the featured open division championship will be held Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
The four-time defending Ruggerfest champion Denver Barbarians will be denied a fifth consecutive title after they were ousted in pool play Saturday.
Instead, the Glendale Raptors, who knocked off the Barbos 25-16 in pool competition, will play for the open title against The Willing, a touring side from the United Kingdom.
The open division championship is scheduled to be played at 3:30 p.m. Sunday.
The Gentlemen of Aspen open division team opened the tournament with a thriller of a 15-12 loss to Boulder on Saturday morning.
A.J. Koller of Boulder broke through for a try on the last possession of the game to rally Boulder to a comeback victory.
Later Saturday, the Gentlemen of Aspen dropped a 27-7 decision to The Willing from the United Kingdom.
Right before the open final Sunday, the 35s championship match will be played in Ruggerfest 2014.
The Aspen Gents 35s returned to the championship final in their division, where they won the Ruggerfest title last year.
They will take on the Misfits this afternoon. The Misfit went undefeated in pool play Friday.
The Gents 35s went 2-1 in three contests.
The Aspen Gents 35s lost 13-0 to the Misfits in their first game.
But the Gents 35s, featuring many of the Aspen rugby stars of the last two decades, rebounded with big wins over the Blues Brothers 58-3 and The Willing 45-21.
The Misfits beat The Willing 38-5 and dispatched the Blues Brothers 39-12 in their pool-play matches Friday at Rio Grande Park.
The full schedule for Championship Sunday in Ruggerfest 2014 will begin at 8 a.m. with the 35s consolation final.
That contest will send The Willing against the Blues Brothers.
The open division semifinals will start at 9 a.m.
At 11 a.m., there will be an exhibition match of the Ageless Wonders, senior players.
The 60s division title game is scheduled at noon, followed by the 45s championship match at 1 p.m.
The 35s championship will hit the field at 2:15 p.m. with the featured open division championship at 3:30 p.m.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border