Ruggerfest: 35s turn back time
September 26, 2015
Turn back the clock.
The Gentlemen of Aspen 35s, the senior members of the Aspen rugby club, traveled back in time Friday in the 48th annual Ruggerfest at Wagner Park.
The Gents 35s won two pool-play games in the 35-and-older division of the 2015 Ruggerfest, advancing to Sunday's championship game.
The Aspen Gents 35s, including a cross section of players from the last two decades of Aspen rugby, opened Friday's play with a hard-fought 15-12 victory over a 50 Shades of Blue, a mix of Tennessee and Kansas City players.
Fred Waititi, a former Gents' coach, led the win.
Later Friday, the Gents 35s came from behind in a 29-21 victory over a well-organized Atlanta team. Former U.S. Eagle Alec Parker returned to bolster the Aspen lineup.
Recommended Stories For You
On Saturday, open division play will start at 8 a.m. at Wagner and Rio Grande Park.
A women's rugby game will be featured at 3 p.m. Saturday at Wagner Rugby Stadium.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Preps: Fork beats AHS boys soccer, volleyball sweeps in Saturday action
- Aspen football cruises by Cedaredge in home opener, 48-12; Basalt also rolls
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- What’s the Big Deal: Nearly $11 million for Aspen condo