Ruggerfest: 35s turn back time
September 26, 2015
Turn back the clock.
The Gentlemen of Aspen 35s, the senior members of the Aspen rugby club, traveled back in time Friday in the 48th annual Ruggerfest at Wagner Park.
The Gents 35s won two pool-play games in the 35-and-older division of the 2015 Ruggerfest, advancing to Sunday's championship game.
The Aspen Gents 35s, including a cross section of players from the last two decades of Aspen rugby, opened Friday's play with a hard-fought 15-12 victory over a 50 Shades of Blue, a mix of Tennessee and Kansas City players.
Fred Waititi, a former Gents' coach, led the win.
Later Friday, the Gents 35s came from behind in a 29-21 victory over a well-organized Atlanta team. Former U.S. Eagle Alec Parker returned to bolster the Aspen lineup.
Recommended Stories For You
On Saturday, open division play will start at 8 a.m. at Wagner and Rio Grande Park.
A women's rugby game will be featured at 3 p.m. Saturday at Wagner Rugby Stadium.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)