Ruggerfest: 35s turn back time
September 26, 2015
Turn back the clock.
The Gentlemen of Aspen 35s, the senior members of the Aspen rugby club, traveled back in time Friday in the 48th annual Ruggerfest at Wagner Park.
The Gents 35s won two pool-play games in the 35-and-older division of the 2015 Ruggerfest, advancing to Sunday's championship game.
The Aspen Gents 35s, including a cross section of players from the last two decades of Aspen rugby, opened Friday's play with a hard-fought 15-12 victory over a 50 Shades of Blue, a mix of Tennessee and Kansas City players.
Fred Waititi, a former Gents' coach, led the win.
Later Friday, the Gents 35s came from behind in a 29-21 victory over a well-organized Atlanta team. Former U.S. Eagle Alec Parker returned to bolster the Aspen lineup.
Recommended Stories For You
On Saturday, open division play will start at 8 a.m. at Wagner and Rio Grande Park.
A women's rugby game will be featured at 3 p.m. Saturday at Wagner Rugby Stadium.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche