Roundup: Aspen soccer rolls
October 19, 2011
ASPEN – Aspen head soccer coach Junior Sutherland said he is pleased to see his team finally put everything together on the pitch – even it if came a little too late to salvage the season.
His young Skiers blanked 4A
Palisade on Thursday, then dominated in Tuesday’s home finale. Aspen erupted for five first-half goals and cruised to an 8-0 victory over Colorado Rocky Mountain School.
“I talked to them at the half and asked what they were doing right. They said, ‘passing the ball, keeping possession. This is fun.’ I’m like, ‘Yeah, of course it’s fun,'” Sutherland said. “It’s completely frustrating. I knew they could play like this.”
John Heaphey headed home a cross from Alex Ferreira just 40 seconds into the opening half Tuesday. About 10 minutes later, Erick Perez found the back of the net for the first of three times on the afternoon. Cole Bond and Ferreira joined in the scoring barrage in the opening half, the latter connecting on an accurate left-footed boot on a free kick.
“It was a great performance,” Sutherland said. “The passing game was fantastic.”
Recommended Stories For You
Eduardo Alvarado and Martin Flores connected down the stretch for the Skiers, who now are 6-8 overall and 2-5 in 3A Region 3 play. They close out the regular season today at Vail Mountain School.
The Skiers volleyball team dropped a five-set thriller to valley rival Roaring Fork at home. Aspen, which had won three of its last four matches, now is 8-10 overall and 8-9 in 3A Western Slope play. It hosts Coal Ridge at 6 p.m. Saturday.
Head coach Clayton Dahlman did not return a call seeking comment.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- With braces on both knees, Lindsey Vonn struggles in first race of season
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Aspen School District cancels classes for Friday after overnight snow
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday