Roundup: Aspen soccer rolls
October 19, 2011
ASPEN – Aspen head soccer coach Junior Sutherland said he is pleased to see his team finally put everything together on the pitch – even it if came a little too late to salvage the season.
His young Skiers blanked 4A
Palisade on Thursday, then dominated in Tuesday’s home finale. Aspen erupted for five first-half goals and cruised to an 8-0 victory over Colorado Rocky Mountain School.
“I talked to them at the half and asked what they were doing right. They said, ‘passing the ball, keeping possession. This is fun.’ I’m like, ‘Yeah, of course it’s fun,'” Sutherland said. “It’s completely frustrating. I knew they could play like this.”
John Heaphey headed home a cross from Alex Ferreira just 40 seconds into the opening half Tuesday. About 10 minutes later, Erick Perez found the back of the net for the first of three times on the afternoon. Cole Bond and Ferreira joined in the scoring barrage in the opening half, the latter connecting on an accurate left-footed boot on a free kick.
“It was a great performance,” Sutherland said. “The passing game was fantastic.”
Recommended Stories For You
Eduardo Alvarado and Martin Flores connected down the stretch for the Skiers, who now are 6-8 overall and 2-5 in 3A Region 3 play. They close out the regular season today at Vail Mountain School.
The Skiers volleyball team dropped a five-set thriller to valley rival Roaring Fork at home. Aspen, which had won three of its last four matches, now is 8-10 overall and 8-9 in 3A Western Slope play. It hosts Coal Ridge at 6 p.m. Saturday.
Head coach Clayton Dahlman did not return a call seeking comment.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division