Rivalry weekend on tap for valley b-ballers
February 6, 2002
It’s rivalry weekend in the world of high school hoops in the Roaring Fork Valley.
All three Class 3A Western Slope League teams in the valley, Aspen, Basalt and Roaring Fork, square off on the court this weekend at the AHS Skierdome.
On Friday, the boys and girls Aspen teams host Roaring Fork, while the Basalt squads travel to Cedaredge. (For current standings, see page 34.)
The AHS boys, 12-2 overall and 3-2 in league play, tip off with Roaring Fork (7-6, 5-1) at 8 p.m. Friday. The AHS girls (9-5, 3-2) face Roaring Fork (8-5, 4-2) in the earlier game Friday, at 6:30 p.m.
On Saturday, the Aspen and Basalt girls (14-1, 7-0) tip off at 4 p.m. at the AHS Skierdome. The Basalt boys (6-9, 3-4) face Aspen in the later game at 5:30 p.m.
For the Basalt girls, Friday’s game at Cedaredge will determine the dominant team heading down the final stretch of the regular season toward the playoffs. The Cedaredge girls are 15-1 overall, 7-0 in league play, meaning Friday’s victor will be the only undefeated team in the league standings.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Chaos reigns in battle for league titles
- Aspen ParkRun: A free 5K race that comes with donuts and coffee
- Aspen, Basalt High volleyball teams win Tuesday, Oct. 16 over Vail, Rifle
- Aspen Leafs hockey to host Mexican national teams during Fall Faceoff
- Aspen High boys soccer beats Grand Valley, 6-0, holds on to playoff hopes