Rivalry weekend on tap for valley b-ballers
February 6, 2002
It’s rivalry weekend in the world of high school hoops in the Roaring Fork Valley.
All three Class 3A Western Slope League teams in the valley, Aspen, Basalt and Roaring Fork, square off on the court this weekend at the AHS Skierdome.
On Friday, the boys and girls Aspen teams host Roaring Fork, while the Basalt squads travel to Cedaredge. (For current standings, see page 34.)
The AHS boys, 12-2 overall and 3-2 in league play, tip off with Roaring Fork (7-6, 5-1) at 8 p.m. Friday. The AHS girls (9-5, 3-2) face Roaring Fork (8-5, 4-2) in the earlier game Friday, at 6:30 p.m.
On Saturday, the Aspen and Basalt girls (14-1, 7-0) tip off at 4 p.m. at the AHS Skierdome. The Basalt boys (6-9, 3-4) face Aspen in the later game at 5:30 p.m.
For the Basalt girls, Friday’s game at Cedaredge will determine the dominant team heading down the final stretch of the regular season toward the playoffs. The Cedaredge girls are 15-1 overall, 7-0 in league play, meaning Friday’s victor will be the only undefeated team in the league standings.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Miller and Kim lead six Americans into Copper Grand Prix halfpipe finals
- Preps: Basalt wrestling beats Grand Valley at home, BHS boys get first win
- Vail skier Mikaela Shiffrin says she is not ‘a record chaser’ but remains hungry
- Aspen’s Ferreira makes it through to Copper Grand Prix ski pipe final
- John Gaston wins Summit for Life