Rifle’s Hernandez to run at Down Under Sports games in Australia
March 1, 2018
Coming off of a terrific freshman cross country season for the Rifle Bears, Jonny Hernandez will get a chance to take his running talents overseas to Australia this summer, representing Colorado on the Team USA 2018 Cross Country team at Down Under Sports.
Hernandez was selected by Down Under Sports to compete in Australia for individual honors and a team championship at the 10-day Australia tournament, which is modeled after the Olympics.
"I am excited for the opportunity to represent my family, school, community, state and country in this once-in-a-lifetime experience," Hernandez said in a statement to the Post Independent.
Down Under Sports was founded in February 1989 based upon the dream of George O'Scanlon, a New Zealander. According to Down Under Sports' website, O'Scanlon fell in love with athletics, especially American football as a young man growing up in his native country of New Zealand. His desire over the years has been to promote football, not only to the people of New Zealand, but also to Australia, where he lived for many years.
Through that love, O'Scanlon formed the Down Under Bowl, which eventually led to the establishment of the Down Under Hoops Classic and the Down Under International Games. The Down Under Sports programs use the common language of sports to bridge the continents and provide a forum for athletes from around the globe to compete head-to-head in the sport they love.
This year, Hernandez will get a chance to represent not only the state of Colorado, but his hometown of Rifle at the Down Under Sports games, starting in July.
Recommended Stories For You
Hernandez will depart for Queensland, Australia, on Tuesday, June 26, to compete as a member of Team USA.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- On the pitch: Learning the game of rugby during mixed touch nights
- Aspen Swim Club dominates home meet, heads to Grand Junction this weekend
- Record-setting endurance athlete to speak at Steamboat Springs library
- Aspen rugby club to host Steamboat on June 16 to open its summer season
- Alex Schrempf to take over Aspen High boys basketball
- Aspen housing authority forcing former board member to sell her home after renting it out
- Naked gospel singer in middle of Aspen road arrested
- Aspen’s controversial, historic Boomerang Lodge sells for $10 million
- Aspen apartment dispute leads to knife threat
- Judge tells man arrested in Aspen that sex offender registry is not punishment