Rifle girls basketball unbeaten after win over Aspen
December 12, 2014
The balanced Bears wore down the Aspen Skiers on Friday night.
The unbeaten Rifle High School girls basketball team rolled to 4-0 with a 41-21 win over the pressing Skiers.
But the margin of defeat was much less than a week ago for the new-look AHS girls, who outscored the Bears in the second quarter and played even with the Bears in the final period.
Emily Neuroth led Rifle with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
Jessie Pressler, with four 3-pointers, scored 14 for the Bears.
Freshman point guard Elly Walters added six points and 10 assists in the win.
Recommended Stories For You
Megan Hanson, with a 3-pointer, led Aspen with five points.
Teammates Marissa Buchholz and Jessica Coxon scored four points each.
Claire O'Sullivan added another 3-pointer for the Skiers, who held Rifle to only three points in the second quarter behind the tenacious defense directed by new head coach Debbie Alcorta.
Cliara Sanchez and Olivia Crawford also scored for Aspen.
McKenna Woodrow of Aspen led all rebounders with 11.
The Aspen girls (0-4) are coming off a strong showing in a 44-26 loss at Hotchkiss on Thursday.
The Skiers led by one at halftime in that road game.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west