Rifle girls basketball unbeaten after win over Aspen
December 12, 2014
The balanced Bears wore down the Aspen Skiers on Friday night.
The unbeaten Rifle High School girls basketball team rolled to 4-0 with a 41-21 win over the pressing Skiers.
But the margin of defeat was much less than a week ago for the new-look AHS girls, who outscored the Bears in the second quarter and played even with the Bears in the final period.
Emily Neuroth led Rifle with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
Jessie Pressler, with four 3-pointers, scored 14 for the Bears.
Freshman point guard Elly Walters added six points and 10 assists in the win.
Recommended Stories For You
Megan Hanson, with a 3-pointer, led Aspen with five points.
Teammates Marissa Buchholz and Jessica Coxon scored four points each.
Claire O'Sullivan added another 3-pointer for the Skiers, who held Rifle to only three points in the second quarter behind the tenacious defense directed by new head coach Debbie Alcorta.
Cliara Sanchez and Olivia Crawford also scored for Aspen.
McKenna Woodrow of Aspen led all rebounders with 11.
The Aspen girls (0-4) are coming off a strong showing in a 44-26 loss at Hotchkiss on Thursday.
The Skiers led by one at halftime in that road game.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain