Rams down Longhorns on long TD pass
September 1, 2012
BASALT – Basalt stretched for two long field goals Friday, but fatigue and cramps caught up with the Longhorns, who dropped to 1-1 after visiting valley rival Roaring Fork.
“We really played well for two quarters, and in the second half, they were really the better team,” said Longhorns head coach Carl Frerichs. “We just ran out of gas.”
Bertilio Garcia, the Longhorns’ All-State kicker, put Basalt up 27-23 with four minutes to go, but Trae Moxley caught a deep pass and got behind the defense to give the Rams a 30-27 home win in their opener. Garcia also hit a 50-yard field goal in the first half.
“Really, they made two huge plays down the stretch,” Frerichs said.
Frerichs praised his young second unit, who provided a few bright spots while spelling the starters.
“I couldn’t be prouder. They did some incredible things,” he said. “They made some great plays down the stretch.”
Recommended Stories For You
The Longhorns have Friday off before opening 2A play against Bayfield at home Sept. 14.
“We’re just going to try to regroup,” Frerichs said. If we can stay healthy, we’ll be just fine.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border