Preps roundup: Basalt football downs Paonia, 41-18
September 18, 2010
PAONIA, Colo. – Sam Morrison scored on a 56-yard screen pass to help the Basalt football team erase an early deficit, then returned a kickoff for a score in the second half to lead the Longhorns to a 41-18 win on the road against Paonia. Zach Mobilian added two touchdowns on the ground and rushed for more than 100 yards for Basalt, which improved to 2-1.
LITTLETON, Colo. – Conner Roper’s fast start continues. The Basalt senior cross-country runner followed up wins in the season’s first two meets with a second-place finish at Friday’s Liberty Bell Invitational in Littleton. Roper finished in 16 minutes, 25 seconds – just two seconds behind the winner from Alamosa. His effort helped the Basalt boys capture second place with 66 points; Alamosa (32), which recently made the move from 4A to 3A, cruised to the team victory. “He was closing but ran out of race,” Longhorns head coach Ron Lund said of Roper. “He was seventh at the mile, so he really reeled him in.” Roper was one of four Basalt runners to finish 23rd or better; senior Raleigh Burleigh (18:02) was 19th and junior Giulio Del Piccolo (18:14) and sophomore Jacob Besser (18:17) wound up 22nd and 23rd, respectively. Five of the Top 10 teams in the latest coaches’ poll attended the race, Lund said. On the girls side, Annette Stenstadvold paced the Longhorns with a 24th-place finish, crossing the line in 21:43.
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. – Kylie Davis’ fifth-place finish helped lead the Aspen girls cross-country team to a second-place finish at Friday’s Grand Junction Invitational. Ryley Sutton, Tayler Quist and Ellie Parker finished ninth, 14th and 21st, respectively, for the Skiers, who wound up 56 points behind winner Hotchkiss (43). On the boys side, Luke Smith and Lamont Gross crossed the line in ninth and 14th, respectively. Aspen finished seventh.
• Saturday’s games
Aspen soccer at Rifle, 11 a.m.
Basalt volleyball hosts Hotchkiss, 1 p.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Aspen volleyball hosts Hotchkiss, 5 p.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 21’s games
Basalt soccer at Rifle, 4 p.m.
Basalt/Aspen golf at Regionals, Links at Cobble Creek, Montrose, TBD
Aspen soccer hosts VMS, 4:30 p.m.
Aspen volleyball hosts Grand Valley, 6 p.m.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Briefs: Basalt softball splits with Rifle, awaits Delta in key league games
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman