Preps from Saturday, Dec. 2: Aspen High hockey falls to Cherry Creek in opener
December 2, 2017
The Aspen High School hockey team opened its season Saturday with a 5-1 loss at preseason No. 4 Cherry Creek. Cherry Creek (1-0) was a state semifinalist last season.
Aspen (0-1), ranked No. 9 entering the season, is off until playing at Cheyenne Mountain next Saturday. The Skiers then host Battle Mountain on Dec. 12 for their home opener at Lewis Ice Arena.
Basalt boys, girls basketball lose to Sargent on Saturday
The Basalt High School boys basketball team fell to 1-2 on the season with a 67-49 loss to Sargent on Saturday in the fifth-place game of a tournament hosted by Centauri High School in La Jara. The Longhorns played without their starting two guards — Justin Henderson and Wylie Hawkins — because of the SATs.
The BHS girls basketball team also played Sargent on Saturday in the fifth-place game of the Centauri tournament, losing 51-37 to also fall to 1-2 overall.
Both Basalt teams will next host Delta on Thursday in their home openers.
Recommended Stories For You
Aspen girls basketball routed by Rangely at Meeker tournament
The Aspen High School girls basketball team concluded the Meeker tournament on Saturday with a 1-2 record after a 60-28 loss to Rangely.
The Skiers are off until hosting Roaring Fork on Dec. 12, their home opener.
BASALT WRESTLING SIXTH AT BUENA VISTA TOURNAMENT
The Basalt High School wrestling team competed Saturday at the Buena Vista Demon Duals, where the Longhorns took sixth out of eight teams. Pagosa Springs won the tournament, followed by Buena Vista in second, Woodland Park in third, Salida in fourth and Del Norte in fifth. James Irwin was seventh and Buena Vista’s second team was eighth.
Basalt went 2-3 in its five duals. The Longhorns recorded wins over James Irwin (57-18) and Buena Vista No. 2 (44-21). BHS lost to Buena Vista No. 1 (48-36), Pagosa Springs (66-15) and Del Norte (39-36).
The Longhorns are scheduled to host Coal Ridge and Grand Valley on Thursday in their home opener.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Aspen man, 78, finally completes the Continental Divide Trail after 35 years
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Pitkin County to prompt valley-wide recycling changes, looking to end drop-off sites
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility