Preps from Friday, Dec. 1: Basalt boys, girls basketball both go 1-1 in La Jara
December 1, 2017
The Basalt High School boys and girls basketball seasons tipped off Friday at a tournament hosted by Centauri High School in La Jara, with both teams going 1-1 on the day.
The BHS boys lost their opener to Salida, 64-55, with first-year coach C.P. Martinez noting there were "lots of good things, but also tons of inexperience mistakes." The Longhorns bounced back with a 68-25 demolition of Las Animas later in the day. BHS outscored Las Animas 22-2 in the first quarter.
The BHS girls also lost to Salida Friday morning, 39-27, before bouncing back to beat Las Animas in the second game, 45-42.
Both the Basalt boys and girls will wrap up their time at the Centauri tournament with one more game Saturday, each playing Sargent in the fifth-place game. The girls play at 11:30 a.m. and the boys play at 1 p.m.
Basalt is then scheduled to host Delta on Thursday in its home opener.
Aspen girls basketball wins first game in Meeker
Recommended Stories For You
The Aspen High School girls basketball team earned its first win of the season on Friday, beating Olathe's junior varsity team, 36-27. AHS opened its season on Thursday with a 52-8 loss to Cedaredge. The Skiers conclude their time at the Cowboy Shootout in Meeker Saturday with a game against Mesa Ridge's junior varsity team at 12:30 p.m.
The Aspen boys basketball team opens its season on Thursday, also at a tournament in Meeker.
Basalt wrestling loses first dual of season
The Basalt High School wrestling team opened its season Friday with a 54-24 dual loss at Salida.
Basalt's only non-forfeit win came from Marcos Archebeque at 160 pounds, who won via fall at 4:32 over Salida's Coltyn Gross. BHS had three wins via forfeit.
Next, the Longhorns will compete in a dual tournament Saturday, hosted by Buena Vista.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday