Preps: Basalt, Aspen basketball teams in action
December 23, 2015
Area high school basketball teams will be back on the court this week for the final games before the holiday break.
The Basalt girls and boys will hit their home court again Thursday when they host rival Roaring Fork in a nonconference girls-boys varsity doubleheader.
The Basalt girls (0-1) will take on the Roaring Fork girls varsity (1-3)at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the Big House.
The Basalt boys (1-0) will play the Roaring Fork boys (1-3) at 7 p.m. Thursday.
The Basalt boys opened the season with a 53-26 victory over visiting Delta last weekend.
Head coach Danny Martinez credited solid defense, a point of emphasis for the Longhorns this year.
Recommended Stories For You
"Overall, our defense was really pretty good," Martinez said. "It was a good team win for us."
Mike Glen and Wade Soho led the scoring with 18 and 14, respectively, for the Longhorns.
Raul Torres and Pablo Rivera scored eight points each in the Basalt season opener.
Basalt will travel to Cedaredge on Saturday for the final game before the break.
Basalt will open 2016 with a key Western Slope League game at Coal Ridge in New Castle.
The Basalt girls basketball team opened the season last weekend with a hard-fought 61-47 loss to Delta.
After falling behind in the first quarter, the Longhorns matched the Panthers in the second, third and fourth periods.
They'll be after their first win of the season when Roaring Fork visits Thursday.
The Roaring Fork girls are 1-3 on the season. They beat Vail Christian with losses to Rifle, Steamboat Springs and Cedaredge.
The Aspen High School basketball teams will play again Saturday. They will travel to the Vail area for games against Vail Christian.
The Aspen girls will play at 6 p.m. Friday; the Aspen boys will play at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
The Aspen girls are 1-3 on the season, including a 35-28 victory over Hotchkiss. The Skiers' losses are to Class 4A opponents.
Vail Christian will bring a 3-2 record into the Friday night game.
The Aspen boys are 2-2 on the young season with wins over Eagle Valley and Hotchkiss.
The Vail Christian boys are 3-1 thus far.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche