Preps: Aspen home basketball openers Thursday
December 9, 2015
The Aspen High School basketball teams will open their home seasons Thursday.
The Skiers tipped off the new season last weekend at the annual Brenda Patch Tournament at Roaring Fork High School in Carbondale.
Now, the Skiers will be on their home court for Thursday's nonleague games against Hotchkiss.
The girls varsity game is scheduled for a 6 p.m. start Thursday.
The boys varsity game will follow at approximately 7:30 p.m.
The Aspen boys enter the home opener with a 1-1 record courtesy of a thrilling victory Saturday over Eagle Valley in Carbondale.
Recommended Stories For You
The Skiers had to come from behind after opening with a 10-0 deficit against the Class 4A Devils.
The Aspen boys worked their way back into the game in the third and fourth quarters.
Senior Will Hazen contributed critical fourth-quarter points for Aspen.
And with 20 seconds to play in the game, senior Jack Rosenthal hit a 3-point jumper that gave the Skiers a 41-40 win over Eagle Valley.
The win was a rebound for the Skiers, who had lost 61-29 to Rifle last Friday night. The Bears' long-range shooting combined with a strong inside game in the Rifle victory. Avery Lujan hit five 3-pointers to lead the Rifle boys.
The Aspen boys will take on a 1-2 Hotchkiss squad coming off a 57-50 victory over Olathe last weekend. Hotchkiss lost the season openner to Ridgway 54-51 before losing to Norwood 64-47.
The Aspen High School girls basketball team will be looking for its first win of the season after opening with losses to Steamboat Springs and Rifle in the Brenda Patch Tournament in Carbondale.
The Hotchkiss girls also enter Thursday's game looking for the first win of the season.
The Bulldogs are 0-3, including last weekend's 61-28 loss at Olathe.
After today's home games, the Aspen High School basketball teams will hit the road for games Friday at Rifle.
The Aspen squads will play at Vail Christian on Dec. 18 to close the preholiday schedule.
Aspen will host Roaring Fork on Jan. 8 in the Western Slope League openers for girls and boys.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Stirling Cup returns with 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American