Preps: Aspen basketball falls at Rifle; hockey home today
December 11, 2015
The Aspen High School basketball teams hit the road to Rifle on Friday night.
The Skiers dropped both varsity games with the AHS girls falling 52-15 and the boys dropping a 54-34 decision to the respective Bears teams.
The AHS boys trailed by only six at halftime in a rematch against the Class 4A Bears.
"I thought we played very well," Aspen coach Rolf Schildman said as the Skiers were within 10 until midway through the fourth.
"Jack (Rosenthal) shot the ball well," he said. Rosenthal scored 21.
Tristan Niskanen added nine for the AHS boys (2-2).
Recommended Stories For You
Claire O'Sullivan scored five points to lead the AHS girls (1-3).
The Aspen High School hockey team will be back on the ice Saturday.
The Skiers will host Summit High School at 4 p.m. Saturday at the Lewis Ice Arena at the Aspen Recreation Center (ARC).
The Skiers are 1-1 on the young season, including a big home win over Battle Mountain last week.
Summit is 0-2 entering the game, with a 13-0 loss to Monarch and a 3-1 loss to Cherry Creek.
Aspen beat Battle Mountain 7-1. The Skiers lost 5-2 at Steamboat Springs to open the season. Steamboat is ranked No. 7 in the current statewide hockey poll.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche
- Local arrested on FBI warrant over emails