Preps: Aspen basketball falls at Rifle; hockey home today
December 11, 2015
The Aspen High School basketball teams hit the road to Rifle on Friday night.
The Skiers dropped both varsity games with the AHS girls falling 52-15 and the boys dropping a 54-34 decision to the respective Bears teams.
The AHS boys trailed by only six at halftime in a rematch against the Class 4A Bears.
"I thought we played very well," Aspen coach Rolf Schildman said as the Skiers were within 10 until midway through the fourth.
"Jack (Rosenthal) shot the ball well," he said. Rosenthal scored 21.
Tristan Niskanen added nine for the AHS boys (2-2).
Recommended Stories For You
Claire O'Sullivan scored five points to lead the AHS girls (1-3).
The Aspen High School hockey team will be back on the ice Saturday.
The Skiers will host Summit High School at 4 p.m. Saturday at the Lewis Ice Arena at the Aspen Recreation Center (ARC).
The Skiers are 1-1 on the young season, including a big home win over Battle Mountain last week.
Summit is 0-2 entering the game, with a 13-0 loss to Monarch and a 3-1 loss to Cherry Creek.
Aspen beat Battle Mountain 7-1. The Skiers lost 5-2 at Steamboat Springs to open the season. Steamboat is ranked No. 7 in the current statewide hockey poll.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border