September 5, 2013
Softball: Basalt bounces back to beat Aspen
The Basalt High School softball team bounced back from a loss to Durango with a big 18-3 victory over the young Skiers in Aspen on Thursday afternoon.
Gavin Lacroix hit a three-run homer (inside the park) on the Upper Moore softball field, the first of her high school career.
Freshman Cassidy Young started and picked up the victory for the Longhorns.
"We were able to get some other girls in there, and they stepped up," said coach Colin Young, who took the helm of the BHS team just last week. He formerly was the assistant coach.
He said the Longhorns are missing three starters because of injury.
Recommended Stories For You
"I was very proud of our girls (Thursday)," Young said.
The Longhorns improved to 2-2 with Thursday's win. They will play four games at the Falcon Tournament, starting with two games today.
The Skiers (0-4) will return to the diamond for a game at Cedaredge on Sept. 14.
Football: Aspen to play at Roaring Fork tonight; Basalt idle this week
In high school football tonight, Aspen (1-0) will travel to Carbondale for a nonleague game against Roaring Fork (1-0). Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.
The Skiers will make the long trip to Pagosa Springs to open the league season Sept. 13.
The Basalt football team (0-2) is idle this week. The Longhorns will return to action Sept. 13 with a game at defending Western League champion Bayfield (near Durango). The Longhorns will host Pagosa Springs on Sept. 20.
Cross country: Area teams heading to Battle Mountain
The Aspen and Basalt high school cross country teams will run in the Battle Mountain Invitational near Vail on Saturday.
The local cross country teams will compete in the Eagle Valley Invitational on Sept. 14.
The Skiers will host the annual Chris Severy Invitational on Oct. 5.
Volleyball: Aspen to play in Moffat County tourney
The Aspen High School volleyball team will head to Craig for the Moffat County Invitational today and Saturday.
The Skiers opened the season at the Glenwood Springs Invitational last week, winning one of three matches.
The Aspen Skiers will travel to Basalt for a conference match Tuesday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Season likely over for Basalt’s Torin Yater-Wallace after Dew Tour injury
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7