October 2, 2013
Tennis: Aspen closes regular season with sweep of Hotchkiss
The Aspen High School boys tennis team finished the regular season with a 7-0 victory over Hotchkiss last weekend.
The Skiers, who had defeated Vail Mountain School, 6-1, earlier last week, finished their dual match season with a 6-1 record.
They will play in the Class 3A Regionals in Grand Junciton on Friday and Saturday.
The regionals will determine qualifiers to the State Tennis Championships on Oct. 10-12 in Pueblo.
Against Hotchkiss, here are the Aspen results:
Recommended Stories For You
No. 1 singles: Dylan Behr def. Azure Eller 6-1, 6-2.
No. 2 singles: Brad Broeking def. Michael Wilmore 6-2, 6-3.
No. 3 singles: Henry Godfrey def. Kaleb Bayles 6-1, 6-1.
No. 1 Doubles: Rocky Tschappat and Gordon Carr def. Josiiah Spano and Keegan Burk 6-1, 6-1.
No. 2 doubles: Victor Robinson and Matt Lambert def. Ulises Mendoza and Luke Yerion 6-3, 6-2.
No. 3 doubles Alex Reagan and Grnat Goodman def. Josh Parsons and Tyler Suppess 6-0, 6-0.
No. 4 doubles: Keegan Mehall – Andy vernier def. Eddie Cambria and Ethan Eller 6-1 6-2.
Softball: No. 10-ranked Basalt sweeps Gunnison doubleheader
The Longhorns keep marching along.
The Basalt High School softball team posted a 3-1 record during a busy stretch in their schedule last week, improving to 12-4 overall. The Longhorns are ranked No. 10 in the latest CHSAAnow.com Class 3A softball poll.
With only a pair of league games remaining, the Longhorns likely will host the District Championships in Class 3A softball this season.
The Longhorns swept a league doubleheader against Montrose last weekend, 19-8 and 8-5.
"We had 23 hits in the first game," Basalt head coach Colin Young said, adding that Maddie Nieslanik and Brittany Driscoll hit back-to-back home runs in the game.
"Everybody had multiple hits,": Young said.
Cassidy Young was 3-for-5; Gavin LaCroix was 3-for-5; Nieslanik was 4-for-5; Bailey Strobel was 2-for-4; Keelie Roberts was 2-for-4.
Morgan Young and Driscoll combined in the circle, striking out eight.
In the second game, the Longhorns won a defensive battle.
"It was Britin Strobel's best game at catcher. She kept their baserunning to a standstill," Young said.
"We won it again in the sixth inning, with three runs," the BAsalt head coach said.
Strobel had two hits as did LaCroix and Cassidy Young.
Driscoll pitched a complete game with six strikeouts and no walks.
Earlier last week, the Longhorns shut out Grand Valley 19-0 behind a no-hitter from Morgan Young.
The Longhorns also lost a 15-4 decision to Class 4A power Montrose.
The Longhorns will close the regular season with games against Aspen and Grand Valley. They were scheduled to play at Grand Valley in a makeup of a rain-out game.
On Thursday, the Longhorns will play Rifle in a nonleague game.
— Dale Strode
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche