September 18, 2013
Football: Basalt to host Pagosa Springs on Friday night
The Basalt High School football team will play at home on Friday night against Pagosa Springs. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the BHS field.
The Longhorns lost a tough 8-6 decision at defending league champion Bayfield last weekend.
But it was a loss that encouraged head coach Carl Frerichs.
"The defense was absolutely phenomenal," Frerichs said after the Longhorns limited the perennial state-playoff qualifiers to a single touchdown last weekend.
Basalt scored on a 40-yard touchdown pass to Tucker Jenkins from Matt Williams in the second half.
Recommended Stories For You
Cody Banc and Javier Diaz had outstanding games at Bayfield, the Basalt coach said.
The Longhorns, 0-3 overall and 0-1 in the Western League, will be looking for their first victory of the season.
Pagosa Springs also will be looking for its first win of the season. The Pirates are 0-3, 0-1 after losing to Aspen, 21-14, last weekend.
Basalt will host Gunnison on Sept. 27.
Tennis: Aspen boys dominate Cedaredge
The Aspen High School boys tennis team opened the dual season with a 7-0 shutout over Cedaredge last weekend.
The Skiers dropped only seven games in 14 sets.
No. 3 singles player Henry Godfrey won his match without dropping a set as did the No. 1 doubles team of Rocky Tschappat and Gordon Carr.
The No. 3 doubles team of Alex Reagan and Grant Goodman also swept as did the No. 4 doubles team of Keegan Mehall and Andy Vernier.
The matches were moved indoors to the Maroon Creek Club because of wet weather outside.
Boys soccer: Rival Basalt to play at Aspen today
Valley rivals Aspen and Basalt will play today in boys soccer, starting at 4 p.m. at the Aspen High School field. The game is listed as a nonconference match. The two teams will play at Basalt on Oct. 10 for the game that will count in the conference standings.
The Skiers are 1-0-0 in conference, 1-3-0 overall.
The Longhorns are 1-1-0 in conference, 4-2-0 overall.
They are coming off a 12-0 victory at Grand Valley on Tuesday night.
Volleyball: Aspen to greet Coal Ridge girls today
The Aspen High School volleyball team will host Coal Ridge at 6:30 p.m. today. The Skiers are 5-4 overall, 2-1 in the Western Slope League.
Coal Ridge is 2-1-0 in league, 9-1-0 overall, coming off a 3-0 nonleague victory over Rifle.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- ‘Like an angel’: Mikaela Shiffrin inspired by cancer-surviving fan
- AVSC’s Hanna Faulhaber making a name for herself after Revolution Tour win
- Slovakia’s Petra Vlhova is a ‘very strong rival’ for Mikaela Shiffrin
- Aspen boys basketball beats Basalt to end losing streak; Longhorn girls win
- Freeskiing Open returns to Buttermilk venues beginning with Thursday quals
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair says he was assaulted while canvassing
- Jim Gaffigan: ‘Skiing was obviously a rich person’s idea’
- Issue committee formed to fight redevelopment of base of Aspen Mountain
- ‘Vasectomy zoning’ argument fails to sour Basalt council on project