September 7, 2013
Cross country: Basalt runners win Longhorn titles
Runners from Basalt High School took top honors Saturday in the Longhorn Invitational cross country meet held at Crown Mountain Park.
Zach Walsh, of Basalt, won the boys 5K in 17 minutes, 42 seconds. Mark Allen, of Montrose, tied for second place with Rifle's Brendan Wagler (17:49).
Hailey Swirbul, of the Longhorns, won the girls race in 20:39. Courtney Lippman, of Glenwood Springs, was second 921:52).
Montrose won both team titles.
Katelyn Krehbiel and Tavia Tietler, both of Basalt, finished in 26:21 and 26:22, respectively.
Recommended Stories For You
Montrose won the team titles in both divisions Saturday. They totaled 12 points to win the girls race. Glenwood Springs was second with 38.
On the boys side, Montrose was first with 32. Rifle was second with 36. Basalt and Glenwood Springs tied for third with 64.
Lyle Luckett ran 20:35 for Basalt. AJ Hurd finished in 20:54 for the Longhorns, coached by Ron Lund.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Season likely over for Basalt’s Torin Yater-Wallace after Dew Tour injury
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7