Prep football: League weekend for Aspen, Basalt
October 1, 2014
The conference football season marches on this weekend for the Aspen Skiers and the Basalt Longhorns.
Both football teams from the upper Roaring Fork Valley kicked off the conference season last weekend with victories.
Aspen (3-2 overall, 1-0 in league) will be back on the road for a game at Coal Ridge (2-3, 0-1) near New Castle.
The Skiers (3-2 overall, 1-0 in league) traveled to Carbondale for a nail-biter against Roaring Fork last weekend.
Aspen rallied for a 34-24 win in the Western Slope North League game that was marred by nearly 40 penalties.
Aspen senior tailback Ryan Fitzgerald rushed for 272 yards on 32 carries in the win at Carbondale. That total put him over 1,000 yards for the season.
Recommended Stories For You
Fitzgerald, who led the league in rushing last year, has totaled 1,020 yards on 136 carries. He has scored six touchdowns.
Matt Gregory has added 261 rushing yards for Aspen.
The Skiers will take on a Coal Ridge team that lost 30-6 at Basalt last Friday night.
The Titans own victories over Dolores (47-0) and Grand Valley (27-7). Coal Ridge also lost 52-6 to Class 1A power Meeker and 42-13 at Olathe.
Coal Ridge is coached by Kyle Sager.
First-year head coach Ryan Triece leads the Aspen Skiers.
Meanwhile, the Longhorns will return to their home field for Friday night's game against visiting Moffat County from Craig.
The Bulldogs, who dropped down in classification for football this season, are 1-4 overall and 0-1 in conference.
Moffat County lost a 41-27 shootout against Battle Mountain last weekend in Craig.
The Bulldogs' lone victory this season came over Ridge View High Academy of Watkins 27-12.
Moffat County's lossses came to Rifle, Steamboat Springs, Gunnison and Battle Mountain.
In other games Friday night involving area teams:
Roaring Fork (1-4) will play at Battle Mountain (2-2),
Eagle Valley (4-1) will play at Glenwood Springs (3-2),
Cedaredge (4-1) will play at Grand Valley (0-5),
Paonia (5-0) will play at Meeker (5-0) in a clash of top-ranked Class 1A teams,
Hotchkiss (2-3) will travel to Leadville to play Lake County (1-4),
Delta (3-2) will play at Summit (1-4),
Olathe (3-2) will play at Alamosa (1-4),
Gunnison (4-1) will be at Bayfield (3-2),
Pagosa Springs (2-3) will play at Montezuma-Cortez (3-2),
Montrose (4-1) will travel to Vista Ridge (4-1) in Colorado Springs,
On Saturday, Palisade (3-2) will host Steamboat (3-2).
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen’s Ferreira wins modified superpipe competition lauded by Dew athletes
- Georgia on my mind: Aspen locals to give presentation on their ski trip
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area to host an unprecedented skimo event
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Preps Dec. 15: Aspen girls swimming third in Montrose; AHS hockey ties
- Head-on crash shuts down Brush Creek Road to Snowmass
- Old Snowmass man chases woman with knife
- Business Monday: Popular midvalley eatery The Biscuit ready for trial run in Aspen
- City official calls housing board extortionists for its financial ask
- Skier dies after hitting tree at Breckenridge resort’s Peak 7 area