Prep football: League weekend for Aspen, Basalt
October 1, 2014
The conference football season marches on this weekend for the Aspen Skiers and the Basalt Longhorns.
Both football teams from the upper Roaring Fork Valley kicked off the conference season last weekend with victories.
Aspen (3-2 overall, 1-0 in league) will be back on the road for a game at Coal Ridge (2-3, 0-1) near New Castle.
The Skiers (3-2 overall, 1-0 in league) traveled to Carbondale for a nail-biter against Roaring Fork last weekend.
Aspen rallied for a 34-24 win in the Western Slope North League game that was marred by nearly 40 penalties.
Aspen senior tailback Ryan Fitzgerald rushed for 272 yards on 32 carries in the win at Carbondale. That total put him over 1,000 yards for the season.
Recommended Stories For You
Fitzgerald, who led the league in rushing last year, has totaled 1,020 yards on 136 carries. He has scored six touchdowns.
Matt Gregory has added 261 rushing yards for Aspen.
The Skiers will take on a Coal Ridge team that lost 30-6 at Basalt last Friday night.
The Titans own victories over Dolores (47-0) and Grand Valley (27-7). Coal Ridge also lost 52-6 to Class 1A power Meeker and 42-13 at Olathe.
Coal Ridge is coached by Kyle Sager.
First-year head coach Ryan Triece leads the Aspen Skiers.
Meanwhile, the Longhorns will return to their home field for Friday night's game against visiting Moffat County from Craig.
The Bulldogs, who dropped down in classification for football this season, are 1-4 overall and 0-1 in conference.
Moffat County lost a 41-27 shootout against Battle Mountain last weekend in Craig.
The Bulldogs' lone victory this season came over Ridge View High Academy of Watkins 27-12.
Moffat County's lossses came to Rifle, Steamboat Springs, Gunnison and Battle Mountain.
In other games Friday night involving area teams:
Roaring Fork (1-4) will play at Battle Mountain (2-2),
Eagle Valley (4-1) will play at Glenwood Springs (3-2),
Cedaredge (4-1) will play at Grand Valley (0-5),
Paonia (5-0) will play at Meeker (5-0) in a clash of top-ranked Class 1A teams,
Hotchkiss (2-3) will travel to Leadville to play Lake County (1-4),
Delta (3-2) will play at Summit (1-4),
Olathe (3-2) will play at Alamosa (1-4),
Gunnison (4-1) will be at Bayfield (3-2),
Pagosa Springs (2-3) will play at Montezuma-Cortez (3-2),
Montrose (4-1) will travel to Vista Ridge (4-1) in Colorado Springs,
On Saturday, Palisade (3-2) will host Steamboat (3-2).
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Preps: Fork beats AHS boys soccer, volleyball sweeps in Saturday action
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance