Prep football: Aspen, Basalt drop road games
September 26, 2015
The road took its toll on the Aspen Skiers.
The Basalt Longhorns, too.
The Aspen High School football team traveled to Cedaredge on Friday night for a nonleague test against the Class 1A power Bruins.
Playing in front of a large home crowd, Cedaredge scored 21 unanswered points in the first half, finishing with a 35-0 victory over Aspen.
"They were just a better team tonight," Aspen coach Ryan Triece said. "They are physical; they like to hit you; and they are disciplined."
Cedaredge, ranked No. 7 in the state in Class 1A by CHSAA.com, boosted its record to a perfect 3-0.
Recommended Stories For You
The Skiers dropped to 2-2 heading into a week of ex-ed.
Aspen's next football game will be Oct. 2, the Western Slope League opener at home against Roaring Fork.
Aspen entered Friday night's nonleague game with a shortened roster, hit hard by injuries over the first three weeks of the season. Five two-way starters missed the road game at Cedaredge.
"We knew we needed a perfect effort. And unfortunately, we didn't give a perfect effort in the first quarter," Triece said.
But the Skiers responded with three solid quarters, 14-0 the rest of the way.
"The last three quarters we battled. We did the best we could," he said. "Now, we're ready to get healthy (over ex-ed)."
Basalt, seeking its first win of the season, ran into a rejuvenated Eagle Valley team on Friday night.
The host Devils rolled to a 33-0 shutout victory over the Longhorns at Gypsum.
The Longhorns will return home to host Grand Valley next weekend in the annual homecoming game at Basalt High School.
In scores from other regional football games Friday night:
Eagle Valley 33, Basalt 0
Brush 43, Glenwood Springs 22
Steamboat Springs 14, Battle Mountain 10
Gunnison 41, Moffat County 20
Paonia 48, Centauri (La Jara) 6
Center 65, Lake County 8
Montrose 31, Fruita Monument 7
Monte Vista 25, Hotchkiss 15
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border