Prep briefs from Saturday, Dec. 16: Basalt girls go 1-1 on final day of home tourney
December 16, 2017
Basalt girls basketball goes 1-1 on final day of home tourney
The Basalt High School girls basketball team played twice on Saturday in its own Longhorn Invitational, going 1-1. The Longhorns first lost 52-42 to Coal Ridge before beating Montezuma-Cortez, 44-23, to wrap up 2017 play. BHS enters its break 2-6 overall and will next play Roaring Fork on Jan. 9 in Carbondale.
Basalt boys basketball loses to Ignacio on Saturday
The Basalt High School boys basketball team wrapped up 2017 play on Saturday with an 81-52 loss to Ignacio in the consolation of a four-team tournament hosted by Montezuma-Cortez. The Longhorns enter their winter break with a 1-6 overall record. They will play Jan. 9 against Roaring Fork in Carbondale in their first game of 2018.
BASALT WRESTLING COMPETES AT WEST GRAND
The Basalt High School wrestling team competed Saturday at an invitational hosted by West Grand. Among the highlights was a first-place finish from BHS senior heavyweight Oswaldo Morales, one of the team’s returning state qualifiers. He went 4-0, getting three wins via fall and one by decision.
Recommended Stories For You
Senior William Rivera, the team’s other returning state qualifier, was second at 220 pounds, going 2-1. Zach Pagan also took second, going 3-1 at 126 pounds. Jobey Esparza was third at 145 pounds and Ghandy Lara was third at 152 pounds.
ASPEN HIGH HOCKEY PLAYS TO DRAW
The Aspen High School hockey team played to a scoreless draw on Saturday evening at Columbine. The Skiers, now 2-2-1 overall, will host Doherty on Tuesday at the Aspen Ice Garden, their final game before the winter break.
ASPEN SKIER CASSIDY JARRELL PODIUMS TWICE ON REV TOUR
Aspen freestyle skier Cassidy Jarrell finished with two podiums in two contests at the Revolution Tour stop in Copper Mountain over the weekend. Jarrell, 18 and a senior at Aspen High School, won Friday's men's ski halfpipe competition before taking third in Saturday's ski halfpipe competition. Jarrell also competed in the Dew Tour at Breckenridge, but did not make finals.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday