Platte Valley tops Faith Christian for 2A football title
November 23, 2013
The Platte Valley Broncos survived a flood and celebrated with a state football championship on Saturday afternoon in Kersey, east of Greeley.
Platte Valley (11-1) beat Faith Christian (10-3) in the Class 2A state title game — 28-19.
The win reversed the outcome of a year ago when Platte Valley lost to Denver Christian in the state championship game. This time, the Broncos turned back Faith Christian's high-scoring offense.
The Eagles trailed 14-6 at halftime in the game played at Kersey, which was hit hard by the flooding from the nearby South Platte River last summer.
Faith Christian, bidding for its fifth state title and fourth since 2004, had defeated two teams from the Western League to reach the state finals. The Eagles beat Aspen, 49-14, in the first round of the state playoffs. Faith Christian beat Gunnison, 48-0, a week later.
The title was the second for Platte Valley, playing in the championship game for the fourth time since 2006.
Recommended Stories For You
In other Colorado high school football playoffs Saturday, Paonia won the Class 1A crown with a 32-24 victory over Centauri.
Paonia finished the season 12-1. Centauri (located south of Alamosa in La Jara) finished 11-2.
In Class 4A, Montrose advanced to next week's state championship game with a 39-38 overtime victory at Pueblo South.
Montrose (12-1) will take on Pine Creek (11-2) for the 4A state title next week. Pine Creek won at Monarch, 21-7, on Saturday.
In Class 3A, Delta (9-4) fell, 28-17, to Silver Creek (10-2).
Silver Creek will play Coronado (12-1) for the the 3A state title next week. Coronado (from Colorado Springs) beat Classical Academy, 28-27, in Saturday's Class 3A state semifinals.
In 5A, Valor Christian (12-1) will play Boulder Fairview (12-0) for the title next week. Valor beat Cherokee Trail, 42-23, and Fairview topped ThunderRidge, 38-28.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain