Peter Olenick tops at Thanksjibbing
November 25, 2007
ASPEN Carbondale native and Winter X Games star Peter Olenick put on a show in front of his home fans Saturday night under the lights at the base of Aspen Mountain, topping a field of 16 skiers to win the annual Thanksjibbing rail jam.It was a good night for valley locals.
Olenick led an Aspen sweep in the skiing portion of the competition, besting runner-up Matt Walker and third-place finisher Nate Berkel.Derrin Carrelli, of Strongsville, Ohio, was the top snowboarder, edging out Basalt’s Mitch Reed and Steamboat Springs’ Colin Tucker.
Olenick and Carrelli both picked up $500 prize checks, while second-place finishers earned $250 and third-place finishers took home $100.Skiers and snowboarders competed in respective 30-minute jam sessions, with judges scoring runs on a course lined with boxes, rails and assorted other features.
The Thanksjibbing park is slated to open to the public beginning Tuesday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman
- Lawsuit: Deteriorating Snowmass-area house plagued by landslide zone