Peter Olenick tops at Thanksjibbing
November 25, 2007
ASPEN Carbondale native and Winter X Games star Peter Olenick put on a show in front of his home fans Saturday night under the lights at the base of Aspen Mountain, topping a field of 16 skiers to win the annual Thanksjibbing rail jam.It was a good night for valley locals.
Olenick led an Aspen sweep in the skiing portion of the competition, besting runner-up Matt Walker and third-place finisher Nate Berkel.Derrin Carrelli, of Strongsville, Ohio, was the top snowboarder, edging out Basalt’s Mitch Reed and Steamboat Springs’ Colin Tucker.
Olenick and Carrelli both picked up $500 prize checks, while second-place finishers earned $250 and third-place finishers took home $100.Skiers and snowboarders competed in respective 30-minute jam sessions, with judges scoring runs on a course lined with boxes, rails and assorted other features.
The Thanksjibbing park is slated to open to the public beginning Tuesday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Man arrested for alleged sexual contact in Aspen bar
- Aspen police: State agency assisting in investigation of former Aspen Skiing Co. director
- Backcountry skier killed on Quandary Peak south of Breckenridge
- Skier who died Sunday at Quandary Peak identified
- Business Monday: Aspen native takes second-home experience to Los Cabos