Peter Olenick tops at Thanksjibbing
November 25, 2007
ASPEN Carbondale native and Winter X Games star Peter Olenick put on a show in front of his home fans Saturday night under the lights at the base of Aspen Mountain, topping a field of 16 skiers to win the annual Thanksjibbing rail jam.It was a good night for valley locals.
Olenick led an Aspen sweep in the skiing portion of the competition, besting runner-up Matt Walker and third-place finisher Nate Berkel.Derrin Carrelli, of Strongsville, Ohio, was the top snowboarder, edging out Basalt’s Mitch Reed and Steamboat Springs’ Colin Tucker.
Olenick and Carrelli both picked up $500 prize checks, while second-place finishers earned $250 and third-place finishers took home $100.Skiers and snowboarders competed in respective 30-minute jam sessions, with judges scoring runs on a course lined with boxes, rails and assorted other features.
The Thanksjibbing park is slated to open to the public beginning Tuesday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Micro-housing and free market river cabins part of new proposal for Basalt’s Pan and Fork