Minor league hockey games set in Aspen
December 28, 2013
Hockey in Aspen will shift into a new gear next week.
The Denver Cutthroats minor league hockey team will play two Central Hockey League games in Aspen on Jan. 3 and Jan. 4 against the rival Tulsa Oilers.
The games will be played at the Lewis Ice Arena at the Aspen Recreation Center (ARC).
The Friday game on Jan. 3 will start at 7 p.m.
The Saturday game on Jan. 4 will kick off at 6 p.m.
The Cutthroats will be on the road for games in Aspen and Vail because the club's home arena, the Denver Coliseum, will be closed for the National Western Stock Show.
Recommended Stories For You
As part of the minor league hockey team's visit to Aspen, the Cutthroats will host a free youth hockey clinic for Aspen Junior Hockey players from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan 4 at the Lewis Ice Arena. The free clinic is presented by Rocky Mountain Health Plans.
According to the club, Cutthroats coaches will work with kids on the ice to teach everything from fundamentals to technique while physicians and guest speakers will address nutrition and safety off the ice.
The Rocky Mountain Health Plans medical staff will assist in providing the off-ice components of the clinic.
Those scheduled to participate include Cutthroats head coach Derek Armstrong and assistant Brad Smyth.
The Denver Cutthroats are the CHL affiliate of the NHL's Colorado Avalanche.
They also are affiliated with the American Hockey League's Lake Erie Monsters.
Tickets for the two Cutthroats games in Aspen are available at 303-295-3475 or tickets@ denvercutthroats.com.
A portion of each ticket purchased will go to Aspen Junior Hockey to promote youth hockey in Colorado.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- River Valley Ranch Golf in Carbondale gets new owner